Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Going to games, watching at home each have benefits

I'm going to let you in on a not-so-shocking revelation. Even the most decisive people change their mind every once in awhile.
Somebody once asked me, do you like watching sports better in person or on TV?
I found that question perplexing at the time, since I went to a zillion games in person as it pertains to my former profession of sports reporter for 18 years. I’ve also been to a zillion as a fan.
Anyhow, it dawned on me later that this person was referring more to college or pro sports events. Not that I'm an old man, but when I was younger (say late teens to mid 20s), I would have almost assuredly preferred to go to the games whether it was pro or college.
As much of a sports fan as I am, this is going to surprise you, I have not been to a college or professional sporting event since 2011. The older I get the more I see the benefit of watching the game from home. For one thing, simply getting to the game is a headache.
In fact, I have not been to a college or pro sports event as a spectator since I went to a San Francisco Giants-Milwaukee Brewers game in 2011. Being a parent of three and trying to put them through Catholic schools, sacrifices must be made. I’ve had my fill of going to games, if it means giving up something for my kids, I’m all for it.
However, I’ll never take off my sports fan hat.
Truth be known, there is nothing like being at the stadium on gameday because you can feel the excitement that you can't get on TV.
However, every year an increasing number of middle class -- and even upper class -- fans get priced out of going to the games, which lessens the desire to go as frequently as one might have at an earlier point in their lives.
I do not believe in grumbling about ticket and food prices because fans are part of that problem, too. After all, owners are going to keep jacking up the price until fans say no, but I digress.
The big events (i.e. postseason games) are an arm, a leg and goodness knows which other body parts.
Of course, when you are at the game, it takes all kinds when it comes to fans as well. Because the ticket prices are so jacked up, you have two extremes in thought.
For starters, there's the elitists who might be sitting behind home plate, at the 50-yard line or courtside. The most prime example are the celebrities you see with courtside seats when the Lakers are TV. Some of them might not know midcourt from midfield.
Sometimes you wonder if they are legit fans. For example, they could be sitting behind home plate at AT & T Park. Buster Posey or Hunter Pence could hit a weak flyball with the outfielder coming in and that same fan might be going nuts thinking it's a three-run homer.
Then, there's the other extreme — the guy who might have taken out a second mortgage on his house with the face paint, foam finger and beer in each hand. You've got to watch out for that guy because the decibel level in his voice might not be for your taste and he might spill his beverage on you.
There is a plus side of being at the game, even if your seats are not the greatest. For starters, you're not at the TV producers' mercy and can look at things that the camera does not have in focus. You watch the defensive captain huddle with the defensive coordinator.
You also don't have to wait for color commentators like Ron Darling to tell you the infield is drawn in when the runner is at third with less than two outs. Of course, the infield could be playing back, in essence trading a run for an out.
On the other hand, the downside might be your seat not being in the right spot to see the game's crucial play, whereas there are eight zillion TV cameras. If one misses the key play, another one will get it, which means you can see the replay at home from several angles.
Replay challenges for football games are a prime example because you never know if they'll show it on the big stadium screen.
Then, there's the matter of your team winning or losing. Not that I look at going to the game as "business." After all, we deal in terms of business at our place of employment every day and that's a good time to leave that part of my life behind for a few hours. Plus, it's the players' and coaches' job to win the games, whereas for me as a fan it's a time to get away from the daily business end of our lives.
Anyhow, if your team is the home team and wins, everything's great and you celebrate among your fellow fans. If your team is the home team and loses, the good news is you have others to commiserate with — but the bad news is that some fans might act like a car ran over their pet.
And let's face it, your favorite team losing a game is not a "real" problem in the grand scheme of things.

That isn't even the worst situation. Suppose your team is the visiting team and loses. Everyone around you is applauding and you're not. Well, as long as I see the game, I'm a happy guy. I just find myself happier doing it from my Archie Bunker chair at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment