Saturday, August 3, 2019

California bill limiting youth football full contact practices absurd

Do you ever have one of those, “this world is actually coming to this”
moments? 
Chances are, you have them quite regularly. Between high school, college
and the NFL, I consider myself a borderline junkie. The only reason I’m
not a full-blown junkie is because there is this thing they call family life. 
On Wednesday, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed off on yet
another way to shed this state in a horrific light. Granted, on a smaller scale
but one that draws outrage nonetheless. Without turning this into a political
discussion, Newsom has been a lightning rod. Some really like him. Others
strongly dislike him. I’ll stop there. 
Newsom signed a law limiting full-contact practices for youth football teams
to reduce brain injuries. State law already limits full-contact practices for
middle and high school football teams to no more than 90 minutes per day,
twice per week.
The bill Newsom signed would limit full-contact practices for youth football
teams to no more than 30 minutes per day for two days per week. The law
bans full-contact practices for youth football teams during the offseason.
The law also requires a medical professional be present for all games and an
independent person attend all practices with the authority to remove players
who show signs of an injury.
The law is aimed at preventing a degenerative brain disease known as chronic
traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. Researchers are studying the diseases’ link
to frequent blows to the head, which occur more often in sports like football.
The NFL and NCAA have changed the rules in recent years in an attempt to
reduce head injuries. Last year, Democratic Assemblyman Kevin McCarty
introduced a bill that would have banned anyone from playing organized
tackle football younger than 12. That bill did not pass.
The law Newsom signed is authored by Democratic Assemblyman Jim
Cooper, who represents Elk Grove.

For openers, and forget political leanings, why anyone in political office feels
the need to get involved with football governing bodies is absurd. Plus,
California has far bigger issues to address -- too many to list but I digress.
I would be willing to bet that many never played or coached football on
any level. Seriously, if I was having joint pains in my ankle would I go to
my mechanic?

I remember about six years ago, I was at the Napa Valley Register (Napa,
CA) football media day when I was a reporter. It was a photo and interview
geared event for coaches and selected players. 

I spent most of my time with St. Helena’s Brandon Farrell and Calistoga’s
Paul Harrell because Upper Valley was my beat. The former is still the head
coach at said school, the latter is not. However, I talked to the other coaches
off the record. The prevailing response was, the powers that be putting on
limits actually changed very little. I can’t speak for every coach but you
figure, Monday and Thursday are going to be lighter days that involve film
sessions and/or walk-throughs while Tuesday and Wednesday are the more
strenuous ones. 

As for having a medical professional at games, I have covered more high
school football games as a reporter than I can count. I would be hard-pressed
to ever think of a game I covered that did not have a medical professional
in the building, whether he was on the sideline or in the stands. 

Since football participation numbers have declined for a myriad of reasons,
some teams don’t even have enough players on their roster to scrimmage
11-on-11 in practice, which further makes the aforementioned bill ludicrous. 

At the NFL level, it makes sense to limit full-contact practices because of the
money franchises invest in the players. The problem is, to get better at any
craft, you have to spend time working on it. That notion becomes exceedingly
more true, the younger the participant. While you can’t simulate game speed
and intensity in practice, running plays at half-speed in practice gives players
a false idea of what games are like, which can actually lead to more injuries.

The part of the bill that has me scratching my head is how it would ban
youth football teams from having full contact practices in the offseason.
Color me ignorant but I had no idea this was even an issue. I have met a
fair number of football coaches in my life (47 years) but I have yet to meet
one that has conducted such practices. 

I’m not saying this to convince you to get your son to play football. I have
a 10-year old son that has no desire to play football, which I support, but if
he came to me one day and said he wanted to, I will support that decision. 

For all of the apprehension that parents do not want their sons playing
football because of the aforementioned risks, I would argue that here in
2019, playing football has never been safer. 

For openers, rules of the game have changed, in-season contact, more
information regarding concussion prevention and the ability to diagnose
them are among factors reducing the risk. 


I don’t know what I am more outraged about, the fact that politicians are
getting involved or that this is becoming the norm? 

No comments:

Post a Comment