Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Time Out with Phil Barber (Santa Rosa Press Democrat sports reporter)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about being connected with athletics throughout your life either as an athlete or journalist?

Phil Barber: I enjoy sorting out the drama of athletics -- and there is always drama. In the locker room, in the front office, and especially on the field or in the gym. Any game you cover, a narrative story line seems to emerge. Sometimes it's heartbreaking, sometimes comical, sometimes just exciting. But sports creates real drama more than almost any other subject you could cover.

D’Adamo: Which sports did you play competitively in high school?

Barber: I played football as a freshman and sophomore but gave up on that when I realized the practices were really hard, and that I wasn't going to play much. So after that I stuck to baseball. Good fielder. No power at the plate.

D’Adamo: Even with the declining state of the newspaper industry, what keeps you coming back every year?

Barber: In large part, the camaraderie. That's in the Press Democrat newsroom, where I see really talented and committed journalists trying like hell to cover the area we live in, despite our economic limitations. And that goes for the press box, too, where my colleagues always make me laugh and teach me things about sports.

D’Adamo: You cover such a wide range of sports from college to pro to high school? Do you enjoy each for different reasons?

Barber; I do, yes, but I will say this: When it comes to game coverage, I prefer the pros because there is so much more at stake, and I can feel comfortable criticizing them when warranted. When it comes to feature writing, though, a good story is a good story, whether it's about an Oakland Raider, a Sonoma State Seawolf or a kid at Montgomery High. And I love the emotion the high school kids put into their sports.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Barber: My parents were both good people and eager sports fans, so they got me started, but two other relatives were integral to my career path. My Uncle, Rowland Barber, was a very successful writer; he wrote, among other notable books, Harpo Marx's autobiography (..."with Rowland Barber") and "Somebody Up There Likes Me," with the boxer Rocky Graziano. Uncle Rowland was nothing but encouraging about my writing, and he was a great sounding board. And my older brother, Stephan Blom-Cooper, was another writer who seemed to delight in every stupid thing I penned. Unfortunately, both are no longer with us.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?


Barber: Hope you don't mind me going non-sports, but I would have loved to meet Woody Guthrie. He stood his ground and advocated tirelessly for the workers of America when it wasn't necessarily popular, and he did it with an acoustic guitar and a twinkle in his eye. And Woody did write a song about Joe DiMaggio.

No comments:

Post a Comment