Sunday, May 6, 2018

Raines returning to Vintage roots

Vintage High 1995 graduate Dennis Raines is coming full circle.


After taking a year off from coaching, Raines is joining Vintage head coach Dylan
Leach’s staff. Raines’ role will be coaching tight ends and fullbacks with an
emphasis on the offensive line. With that role, Raines will have a close working
relationship with another familiar face besides Leach, Crushers’ assistant coach
Andrew Hall. The two worked together at Napa High.


“This is truly coming home for me,” said Raines, who played football and baseball
as a Crusher. “I have many fond memories from my playing days.at Vintage and
continue to have relationships today that were started at Vintage. The plan for me
to come back to Vintage started a long time ago. Coach Leach and I talked about
this years back. We always hoped he would get a chance to run this program and I
would follow him over.”


Raines served in various roles the past ten seasons on the Napa High staff under
former head coach Troy Mott, who is Raines’ brother. Raines was a quality control
assistant for the varsity (2006-2009), offensive coordinator/offensive line coach for
the freshmen team (2010-2013) and the defensive line coach for the varsity
(2014-2016).


Raines took the 2017 season off from coaching after Mott and staff resigned in lieu
of an alleged hazing scandal which led to a power struggle between Mott and the
administration. The latter wanted control over whom Mott could keep as assistants,
much to his disapproval. Mott along with the entire staff resigned, some of those
assistants landed jobs elsewhere, notably Kirk Anderson (American Canyon) and
Ian MacMillan (St. Helena).


“What happened at Napa High was unfortunate for everyone involved,” Raines said.
“I didn't need to reset. I knew I wanted coach again and even entertained a coaching
job out of town. Ultimately I want to help mold young men in my community. The
opportunity to come back and work with Dylan and his talented staff was just a
perfect fit.”


Like Raines, Leach is a Vintage High graduate (1992), who traded in the Blue &
Gold of Napa for the Burgundy & Gold of Vintage. Leach was a long-time Vintage
assistant (2000-2009) under Les Franco and Billy Smith. Leach became Napa’s
defensive coordinator from 2010-2015 but when the Vintage High head coaching job
opened in March 2016, Leach headed home.


It turns out, Raines would not be far behind. Raines and Leach have shared a
friendship since 1985, when the two played in the Napa Saints Youth Football
program.

“Dylan is a true student of the game,” Raines said. “I watched him learn everyday
while we worked on Mott's staff. He is a true grinder and will do everything in his
power to prepare his team. Like Troy, he his a natural leader and is honest with his
players and coaches. I am very fortunate that he chose me to come on this journey
with him.”


By all appearances, the Crushers are on the uptick, going 12-8 the past two
seasons but 7-3 in 2017, which marked Vintage’s best season since 2000. Among
the notable wins were victories over local rivals American Canyon (28-14) and Napa
(14-7). Vintage had not beaten the latter since 2005. As the No. 15 seeded in the
CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Div. II playoffs, the Crushers lost in the first round but did
not go quietly. No. 2 seeded Inderkum (Sacramento) 35-24, once holding a 24-21
lead.


Raines hopes to play a role in helping continue the program’s upward trend. Raines
joins the program at a time in which the landscape is changing. Vintage will no
longer be in the SJS. The Crushers will be members of the North Coast Section in
the newly formed Vine Valley Athletic League with Napa, American Canyon,
Justin-Siena, Casa Grande, Petaluma and Sonoma Valley.


While Raines alluded to last season being difficult not being involved in coaching,
he added that he has been blessed to learn from many really good ones and
considers Leach among that group.


“I have been very fortunate to learn this game and how to be a teacher of it from
many of the best football minds and leaders in our community,” Raines said. “Coach
Mott, Coach (Jerry) Harris and Coach (Jerry) Dunlap really took me under their
wings and groomed me to become better at my craft. Dylan is my guy, I would go to
war for him. He’s a great leader who loves his players and is there for all the right
reasons.”


Raines is also returning to his alma mater with a heavy heart with his father (Rod)
having passed away unexpectedly within the past month.


“My mom (Debbie) and him were very excited about my return to Vintage,” Raines
said. “I miss him very much. He believed in what my brother and I do in our
community through this game we all love so much. Hopefully I will continue to make
him proud.”

In meantime, Raines returns to where it started with hopes of helping Vintage’s
football program continue on the ascend.

No comments:

Post a Comment