Saturday, March 17, 2018

Narlock wore many hats, influenced many lives

There are times you meet someone in your life that influenced many generations in their
community. You wish you had met that person at a much earlier point in your life but
you feel privileged and honored to have known him or her.


For me, that person was Bill Narlock. The community of St. Helena, CA, lost an
incredible man as Narlock passed away peacefully at his home on Sunday, March 11 at the
age of 80. Narlock and his family moved to San Francisco from his birthplace of North
Dakota in 1948. Narlock and his first wife, Patricia, moved to Chiles Valley in 1965 before
settling in St. Helena, where he and his family made their home since that time. After
Patricia passed away, he later married his second wife, Alice, in 2001. Narlock leaves behind
four kids of his own (Lori, Bill Jr., Bobby and Cathy), 11 grandchildren and many lives that
became better because of his influence. There will be a celebration of Narlock’s life on
March 25 beginning at 11 a.m. at the Native Sons Hall in St. Helena.


Narlock was a strongly principled man who wore many hats: contractor/carpenter,
gardener, mushroom forager, abalone diver, cook, wine/vinegar maker, bocce ball player
and San Francisco pro sports fan. Since he was a member of the Sons of Italy, he was Italian
by osmosis. I considered him an honorary Paisan. The role, however, that defined him was
as a volunteer, specifically coaching 38 years of St. Helena Little League. That span covered
his kids, grandkids and everyone in between. Anyone who gives that amount of time when it
comes to volunteerism is a special human being in my book.


I first met Narlock in the summer of 2004, shortly after I took over the Upper Napa Valley
sports beat. His wife, Alice, had worked at the newspaper so that gave me a chance to have
even more conversations with Bill. Even after Narlock retired from coaching after 2007, I
continued to see him frequently as his grandchildren (Sarah, Joey and Danny) had become
St. Helena High School student-athletes. If I did not have a game to cover, I could have
talked to him for hours on end.


Narlock and I were not friends in terms of doing things socially together but in our
frequently interactions and conversations, he felt like a friend and I considered him one.
The conversations ranged from sports to family to life. I frequently entertained him with
my impersonations of Al Davis, Avery Johnson, Archie Bunker and Keith Jackson to
name a few. Little does he know, I have added Elvis Presley to the equation.


I left the newspaper industry in December 2014, which is roughly the last time I saw Bill
since my current career takes me to Contra Costa County. However, I frequently think back
to the many conversations we had. You could name just about any kid that grew up in St.
Helena from the end of Lyndon B. Johnson’s time as United States president, he could tell
you their strengths or weaknesses and what type of kid he was.


One of the best stories I heard Narlock tell came when he was coaching a youngster that had
never played baseball. The kid bumped into a teammate in an attempt to catch a flyball. Bill
recalled telling the kid to “call for it.” The next flyball ball, said youngster waved his arms
in the air and yelled “come to me!” Narlock recalled laughing hysterically. He also recalled
watching a t-ball ball game and hearing a coach telling a kid “go home” in reference to home
plate. Instead, the kid started running to his house.

The most random compliment he ever paid me was, "Vince, I appreciate everything you do.
You've been a great writer and a great friend -- but you're never going to convince me to be a
Nebraska fan." He said that in reference to me being a University of Nebraska alum. I
quipped with, "Thank you, Bill. I appreciate that but what can I say, Nebraska football is my
sickness."


Narlock especially had an aversion to anyone that fixated on how hard a pitcher threw. I
shared his belief. Narlock’s comment was, “You can’t defend a walk or a hit batsman.” I
never heard such logic uttered that way but I proudly use that line. Another Narlock-ism
was, "an umpire never won or lost a game."


Narlock saw numerous changes in Little League including but not limited to going from
wooden to aluminum bats. I remember interviewing Narlock once and asked him an
opened ended question, “How did you get into coaching?” Narlock wanted to become a
teacher but “I never got there.” He may have never reached the classroom but Narlock’s
teaching was not limited to swinging bats and hammers, he knew how to teach the
fundamentals of life.


Another defining story of Narlock came in association with his twin grandsons, Joey and
Danny. Cathy Brink, who is Narlock’s daughter and the aforementioned twins mother, lost
her husband, Jeff Brink, who died in 2000. As a father of three kids myself, I could not
fathom going before my time and having my kids have me not be in their life. You think
of fatherhood involving playing catch with your son or daughter.


When it came to baseball, Narlock essentially wound up playing the role of father and
grandfather to Joey and Danny.  


In 2003, Joey and Danny moved up to the minors division (ages 9-10), who did not have
enough coaches at the time. Narlock subsequently pulled double duty for that season,
coaching the Wildcats (with ex-Viking and St. Helena High graduate John Bertoli
serving as an assistant coach) and the Red Sox.
Having lived to see his 80th birthday is a milestone that most people consider a full life.
Sure, as time goes on, we can put a positive spin on the life he led. Intellectually, we
know that no one who lives 80 years gets cheated. However, emotionally, Narlock’s
passing leaves a void.
The next time I am at my son’s Napa Little League baseball or my daughter’s Napa Junior
Girls Softball game, Narlock will be smiling from heaven. I’ll probably have an imaginary
conversation with him. Or I will ask, "What would Bill think?"
Bill, I have no doubt we will meet again someday in heaven but don’t take this the wrong
way, I hope that visit is delayed for a long time.

While I only knew Narlock for a fraction of his life, I am a better person for having known
him.

No comments:

Post a Comment