Saturday, December 2, 2017

Time machine 2009: 10 hours of a day you won't get back

Do you ever feel like a day was totally wasted?
I experienced such a day with several people one Saturday in late September 2009. Well, not just me, but anyone associated with the Calistoga and Round Valley High football teams.
That includes everyone — as in players, coaches, volunteers, parents, etc.
I was in the midst of covering two high school football games in a matter of 16 hours. Lower Lake at St. Helena on Friday night and Calistoga at Round Valley (Covelo) on Saturday afternoon. I arrived home about 11:30 p.m. on Friday night from watching St. Helena beat Lower Lake 27-12.
My weekend of covering high school football was far from over — or so I thought. I met Calistoga High’s football team at the school in order to ride the team bus on the ensuing Saturday morning at 8 a.m.
I had no desire to drive three-and-half hours to Covelo. The drive itself is scenic but with the windiness of Highway 162, it feels more like five hours.
I rode to Covelo as a passenger of Calistoga High athletic director Jake Blakeley, who was driving a school district van. Along the way, we stopped to eat at Burger King in Willits, which is about an hour and a half South of Covelo. Except, only Jake ordered food. Remembering the delicious tri-tip sandwiches from the concession stands from my trip three years ago when I witnessed Calistoga’s 36-0 win over the Mustangs, I opted to save my appetite. That was a colossal mistake.
We arrive at Covelo, where the heat is downright oppressive (temperatures climbed above 110 degrees), about 45 minutes before the noon kickoff of the JV game. The varsity contest was slated for 2 p.m., or 30 minutes after the JV game — whatever comes first.
To add to this misery, I discovered that the concession stand had been burned down because of arson. The only concession stand at the field had snack foods (i.e. potato chips, candy, etc.) along with drinks such as sodapop and water, not exactly a nutritious lunch. The good news was that about a quarter mile from the high school was a softball field where a tournament was taking place. They had a concession stand.
So I and Scott LeStrange, who was one of Calistoga head coach Mike Ervin’s assistant coaches, walk over to see what they have for food. We were the only ones in line. The posted menu included items like hamburgers, hot dogs, drinks, etc. We’re thinking, “this is a little more like it.”
There were two people working the concession stand. They tell us, “the Indian tacos won’t be ready for another ten minutes.” According to the 2010 United States Census Bureau, Covelo’s population was 37% Native American, hence the likelihood of Indian tacos. I replied with, “That’s fine. Are your hamburgers ready?” They said, “yes.”
So I ordered two of them, knowing I would be there for a while. The burgers were so dry beef jerky would have been an upgrade. I showered them with Ketchup.
About 20 minutes before the JV kickoff, the officiating crew remained MIA. They would remain MIA the remainder of the day due to a scheduling miscommunication.
The JV teams scrimmaged with coaches officiating, including but not limited to Ervin. The day was miserable so I had to bring levity by heckling Ervin, whom I consider a friend.
I even used a Hank Stram soundbite — “How could one of you miss a call like that!” Ervin got a good chuckle.
The good news, I figured out an early escape out of Covelo. I discovered in passing that Calistoga JV head coach Joe Russo needed to get back to Calistoga after the JV game, so from there I decided that if there were no referees I was not going to waste any more of the day in Covelo.
I don’t mind making the trip if it’s going to be a regularly sanctioned game, but why waste my time if it’s a scrimmage?
I approached Russo at halftime of the JV scrimmage. He agreed to do it but replied with, “Just so you know I have to get back to Calistoga quick.” My response, “Drive like Bo Duke if you have to, the sooner we get out of this town, the better.”
We returned to Calistoga about 5:30 p.m., as opposed to about 9 p.m. had the game been played. In case you are wondering, Russo kept his vehicle between the ditches.
The entire weekend, I kept asking myself and others, “How could this get so damn fouled up?” The real F-word I used, however, rhythms with tuck. Perhaps, the home team coaching staff and athletic director.
After all, in the North Central League II, you have teams coming from two to three hours away. It damn well behooves you to have officials lined up.
Perhaps, it’s the Coastal Mountain Conference powers-that-be or the referees association. Something got lost in translation and a number of people suffered as a result. The day was 10 to 12 hours most of us will never get back.
For my sake, it was 10 hours away from my wife and three kids — all ages 2 ½ years and under at the time. I made arrangements earlier in the week to free up Saturday by taking other days off work.
For the players’ sake, it’s a waste of time. They spend all week practicing with the idea of playing a game Friday night or Saturday afternoon.
For the volunteers, I refer to the Calistoga stat girls, which have included Nicole Taylor the last two years. Taylor was a three-sport athlete who graduated in 2011 and also volunteered time as a stat keeper.  I also refer to the Round Valley volunteers. Granted, most of them might live a hop, skip and a jump away from the high school but they are still sacrificing time out of their weekend.
For Calistoga High’s budget, the district set aside two vans and a school bus for a 12-hour day that amounted to two scrimmages.
Then again, maybe I should have known something all along from Lake County Record Bee sports editor Brian Sumpter. You see, Sump has been in the business for 35 years, but the man can only wish he lived the lifestyle I lived — fast money, fast women, etc.
Anyhow, Brian and I talk frequently about the teams in our area and exchange levity as we did on Monday. Brian talked about a game he covered in Covelo in 1995 involving Upper Lake and Round Valley High. He quickly reminded me how there was a reason he never went back.
Well, I went to Covelo in 2006 to witness Calistoga’s 36-0 win over the Mustangs. So what drew me to a return trip? The chance to see the 0-2 Wildcats get their first win of the season.
Just a shame the day had to be such a waste.

Suffice it say, two trips to Covelo in my life are more than ample. If there is a next one, it will be much too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment