Monday, June 11, 2018

Martinez's dismissal as Napa football coach raises more questions than answers

There are questions. There are answers. Sometimes there are answers that only lead to more
questions.


After just one season, Jesus “Chuy” Martinez has been dismissed as Napa High football
coach as of Sunday evening. The dismissal was confirmed in Monday’s online version of the
Napa Valley Register.


Martinez, who is a 2004 Napa High graduate and former quarterback, spent the previous ten
seasons on the Indians JV staff, nine as an assistant and one as head coach. Martinez replaced
Troy Mott, who resigned over philosophical differences with the administration as a result of
a hazing scandal. All of Mott’s assistants resigned as well.


After multiple candidates interviewed and turned down the job, the school turned to Martinez
on May 24, 2017, less than four weeks before administrators established a deadline to have a
coach in place or cancel the season.


Napa athletic director Tom Petithomme, who was hired recently to replace Thomas Sims, has
been named the interim coach. Napa High principal Annie Petrie offered Martinez the
opportunity to resign because of family reasons as a professional courtesy but he declined to
do so.


There are more than a few things to unpack from this decision. As for the move to dismiss
Martinez, I mean no disrespect to him but I’m ambivalent. I applaud him for stepping in to
coach the team to ensure they would have a season when no one wanted to go anywhere
near this dumpster fire. I felt Martinez was not the best choice because two of Mott’s
former assistants, Ian MacMillan and Kirk Anderson had varsity head coaching experience
and were teachers. However, given their friendship with Mott, there was no way on God’s
Green Earth they were crossing that pickett line. Martinez was the only realistic choice they
could get.


The Indians struggled to a 3-6 record last season but it stands to reason that with a quieter
and entire offseason of Martinez working with the players, the 2018 season presented a
chance to establish more solid footing. What that would have translated to from a win-loss
standpoint who knows? I do, however, know that when a team has such a volatile situation
off the field, it can compromise their performance on it.


What I struggle to wrap my head around is the timing. If Napa High wanted to make a
coaching change, that’s their prerogative. However, this decision would have made a hell
of a lot more sense either at the end of the season or in January when you have time to find
what you believe is a more ideal long term solution. Plus, Martinez is an off-campus coach
and would have had to reapply for his job anyhow.


I have never met Petithomme and don’t question his football acumen. You don’t play at
Modesto Junior College and for the Arena Football League’s San Jose Sabercats without
having such. Assuming Petithomme only coaches this year, Napa has time to find its more
coveted long term solution but the volatility around the school and program is not going
away, thus continuing to make the job unattractive.


I have heard conflicting reports whether the decision to get rid Martinez came at the school
level or the Napa Valley Unified School District level. Who it originated the decision is
immaterial but Petrie demonstrated how to be a principal without principles. How in the
world do you ask someone that you do not want to keep to resign because of family matters
as a professional courtesy? If you want to get rid of him as coach, fine, but take ownership.
Martinez did his professional courtesy by stepping up to coach the team when no one would
go anywhere near that job.


At the high school level, I have read about coaches resigning to “spend more time with
family” so many damn times I wonder how believable it really is 90 percent of it. I’m not
denying that coaches sacrifice a lot of time away from spouses and kids but that’s no bigger
of a problem in January than it is in June. Short of caring for an ailing spouse or child, what
football coach resigns to spend more time with family one day before beginning summer
practice?


Unless it’s a safety, legal or ethical problem, who relieves a coach of their duties the day
before summer practice? Don’t insult our intelligence, people.


According to the Register’s report, Martinez said he was at work when Petithomme texted
him to have a meeting with Petithomme and Petrie. Another text message came a few hours
later requesting Martinez to call Petithomme.


“I gave him a call. He tells me that he was asked by Annie to relieve me of my head coaching
duties because Napa High was going in a different direction with football,” Martinez told the
Register.
Later in the day, Martinez met with his staff, informing them what had happened. He said he
also met with Petrie.
“I asked Annie, face to face, what the issue was and she just said Napa High was heading in
a different direction with football. She said the decision had come from the (Napa Valley
Unified School District), but later in the meeting she told one of my coaches that it was her
decision. I asked her why do this a day before we start our summer practice? And she said
it was just time to move on.
“My question was, ‘Time to move on from what? What exactly are we moving on from?’
“With me stepping in last year, and the situation that I stepped into, I thought I deserved at
least an explanation.”
Martinez added: “Annie said, ‘We’re parting ways. We’re heading in a different direction.’
She said, ‘I want to give you the opportunity to resign for family issues.’ I said, ‘Absolutely
not.’ I said, ‘I absolutely will not do that.’ All I wanted was an answer why, or a reason.
‘Give me a reason.’ She gave me no reason.”
Petrie declined to comment on Martinez’s version. I don’t what’s worse, wanting Martinez
to publicly give some cacamaimy answer of “resigning to spend time with family” or having
Petithomme do the dirty work to initially inform Martinez.
I can look at Martinez’s comments in one of two ways. For openers, I don’t think anyone
should have to say they resigned when that was not the case. If you got fired from your job
would you tell people you resigned? I don’t think so. The volatility of Martinez’s comments
are explainable in that as an off-campus coach, you have the luxury of being more unfiltered
than a district employee. While I don’t think Martinez should apologize expressing how he truly
feels, I hope for Martinez’s sake that the volatility of his comments don’t ramify in other areas
of his life.
I want to believe that this is being done for the good of the program. From the outside looking
in, I hope to be proven wrong but I don’t think my skepticism is unfounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment