Thursday, August 30, 2018

NFL Helmet Rule could sap my love for football

Sometimes, you come to a surprising realization that you never thought you would envision.


The reasons why people are turning away from football from both a participatory and
spectator standpoint are vast. For the former, more parents do not want their kids playing
football in large part because of more information about the after effects of concussions that
have led to retired NFL players developing dementia, Alzheimer's Disease and ALS to name
a few. Other theories are a more vast array of athletic options.


The common reason given for NFL ratings having decreased are as a result players kneeling
and/or sitting during the National Anthem in protest of racial injustice and police brutality.
Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who is biracial, popularized the movement before
an exhibition game in 2016. Kaepernick, who had also been trending down as a player, opted
out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers after that season. Though there was passing
interest by Denver, Seattle, Baltimore and Miami, no team has signed Kaepernick. Translation,
the baggage outweighed the passenger.


There are those with pro military and law enforcement stances that have boycotted watching
the NFL because they view anything other standing for the National Anthem is disrespectful.
However, it should also be pointed out that there are fans boycotting the NFL because
Kaepernick does not have a job. By no means am I suggesting they are right but you would
be blind and ignorant to suggest such people do not exist.


I’m not going to go into any enormous depth of my feelings on the matter because I have
addressed it in this space. I believe everyone should stand for the National Anthem. Nothing
anyone says will convince me otherwise. However, my continuing to watch football does not
make me unpatriotic or UnAmerican. I remain unwavering in my stance: No politician will ever
tell me to stop watching football, no professional athlete will tell me not to honor my country,
no person will ever cause me to hate another person and my actions are my own. For
extensive reading, refer to these links:










United States president Donald Trump has been a lightning rod in general but particularly on
this subject. He has called for players that kneel to be fired. Considering that Trump used five
draft deferments and did not serve his country a la John McCain, his takes on patriotism ring
hollow at best.


Another talking point is the NFL’s newly implemented helmet rule in yet another attempt to
add more safety to football:




I love football. I played in high school. Of the three major sports, football has always been my
favorite. Though I am finding that love being tested. The National Anthem drama was not
enough to do drive me away. Though I had a conversation with my father, who served in the
U.S. Air Force. He followed by saying, “You’d probably feel different if you were in the military.”
I love you, dad, but I disagree because there are plenty of people that served in the military
that still watch football.


The biggest reason the National Anthem was not enough to keep me from watching is
because it happens before the game and is rarely on TV. Before the game, I’m busy running
last minutes errands or going to the bathroom. Once the ball is kicked off, I’m not even
thinking about who is sat or stood for the National Anthem.


The newly instituted helmet, however, could be the final straw. I’m not there yet but call me
an old school fan that loves monster hits and fullbacks as opposed to basketball in pads.
The new helmet rule now has plays that are routine getting called as penalties. I haven’t
seen this many flags since the United Nations.


The intent of various rules is based on “safety of the game,” which in football is an oxymoron.
The game was meant to be dangerous and violent so let it be that way. If you are going to
Las Vegas, you go for drinking, gambling and entertainment. You’re not going for sobriety.
You sure as heck aren’t going to church on the Strip. To make another analogy, I’m not
going to a steakhouse for seafood and I’m not going to a seafood restaurant for steak.

I would hate to make the choice but it’s possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment