Wednesday, October 10, 2018

St. Helena boys basketball takes a Gamble on new coach

St. Helena High boys basketball is digging into its Hall of Fame past to address its
present.


Without further adieu, Saints fans, Jim Gamble has entered the building. In these parts in
a basketball sense, that would be like Elvis entering the building, only Graceland is not in
the Napa Valley. Gamble, who is a 1981 graduate of St. Helena High, replaces his former
teammate, Joe Densberger (Class of 1980). Densberger stepped down in late April:




Gamble was inducted into the St. Helena High Athletic Hall of Fame in the 2015 class for
his prowess as a three-sport athlete (basketball, tennis and cross country) but is best known
for his contributions in basketball. Gamble scored 1,319 career points in three varsity
seasons, before the 3-point shot. Gamble led the Saints to consecutive CIF North Coast
Section Class A titles in 1980-1981 under head coach Erik Zaidel. Gamble played his
college basketball at Cal Poly Pomona, where he was coached by Gregg Popovich. As in the
iconic NBA coach who has led the San Antonio Spurs to five NBA titles.


Gamble had been overseeing the program after Densberger resigned until athletic director
Tom Hoppe could find a replacement. Except Hoppe, himself a 1977 graduate of St. Helena,
never found that replacement and ultimately turned to Gamble. Hoppe, however, revealed
when that Gamble was his top choice the entire time when the St. Helena Star broke the
news of Gamble having been hired.


Gamble was an assistant last season under Densberger and in 2003 when Hoppe was the
head coach. Gamble is currently seeking out for assistant coaches while Meshach Osborne
returns as the JV coach. Gamble added that he was reluctant to take the job in part because
his youngest son, Jonathan, is a varsity player.


I can understand the reluctance, as a former sports reporter (10 years on the Upvalley beat)
who has become a sports parent, I would be reticent to coach my own kid. For openers, it
complicates the family dynamic and the team aspect. It’s a no win situation. If you are too
easy on your kid, you are playing favorites. If you go out of your way to be hard on your kid
to prove a point, the lad resents you.


Granted, Gamble coached his older kids (Sarah and David) along with the aforementioned
Jonathan in their younger years but on the varsity stage, the lights are brighter. Gamble steps
in for a team that went 11-15 overall and 4-10 in North Central League I but the fact that his
presence has kept players engaged in summer league games, open gym and conditioning
sessions in an unofficial capacity is a plus. What does it translate into from a win-loss
perspective? I can’t even begin to project. The first official day basketball teams in the CIF
North Coast Section can begin practicing is Oct. 29.


Having spent the better part of ten seasons on the Upvalley beat from 2004-2014, I got to
know Gamble fairly well in various capacities, sports parent, board member on the Saints
Athletic Association, youth sports coach and St. Helena Little League president to name a
few. He has worn about 74 different hats. Gamble and I have had numerous conversations.


This is going to sound ignorant to people in St. Helena but until 2004, I had no idea who
Jim Gamble was even though I have family that grew up there. Whereas, when he was
dominating as a high school athlete, I was just a second grader in Napa. I was in my own
world. Nonetheless, I grew fasicated by his story.


The next thing I know, I’m covering a Saints game and this tall, stately looking fellow walks
up to this vertically challenged fellow and introduces himself and asks: “Hi are you Vince,
the new sport reporter?” I reply, “Yes, and you are?” He replies: “Jim Gamble. I’m an
assistant for the varsity. I want to tell you that you are doing a great job at the paper.” Then
he adds: “I know your Auntie Anna. She’s a great lady and says nothing but great things
about you.”


That would be my Auntie Anna, as in my mother’s sister. And yes, my Auntie Anna is a gem
if I do say so as her proud nephew. From that point forward, I felt an instant relatability to
Gamble.


OK, I understand I am going off the rails. At this point you are asking, how does this help
Saints basketball now? I don’t worry about Gamble the coach. Being what some people
consider one of the best high school basketball players to don a uniform in the entire Napa
Valley, you’re getting a guy that knows Xs and Os. He’s old-school competitive but
mild-mannered enough to where he won’t let the technology age bother him -- at least
outwardly.


If I have to think of an underlying message of Gamble taking this job despite his initial
reluctance, the man is a good soldier. To that end, he is doing St. Helena High and the
community a solid by taking this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment