Friday, May 3, 2019

Consumers are part of the reason why media sensationalizes the news

There are many commonly uttered narratives that while they are
true, require another layer of examination as to why they hold
credence.


Consider it an explanation more than a justification.  


As a sports reporter of 18 years before changing careers in
December 2014, I notice a lot of disdain toward the media in this
country and it includes all factions, news, sports, etc. The reason
for the outrage is rooted in the consumers’ belief that the media
sensationalizes the news.


Before I go any further, I want to make one thing perfectly clear, I
agree that the media as a broad generalization embellishes the
news. Turn on most any network and it confirms the complaints
that consumers have that the news is depressing. If it does not
have a saddened tone, it contains shrill voices arguing back and
forth. If they are not loudly arguing, they are pontificating. It’s as
if the Joe Friday, “Just the facts” approach is long gone.


As a sports fan, the biggest examples of sensationalism are ESPN
First Take with Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman or FS1’s
Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless. Those pairs are so notorious
for arguing in loud tones of voice that it is news when they don’t.
The networks that engage in political interactions take an approach
that is often all too similar.


Though journalism is no longer my career, I enjoy writing too much
to give it up entirely. The root of my decision to leave the newspaper
industry stems from the fact that the pay and lifestyle are too limiting
for a family man with a wife and three kids. The more secondary
reasons, but they are reasons nonetheless, is that a) With my own
kids being involved in sports, I don’t want to be saddled with covering
other kids’ events while missing my own and b) The fundamentals of
journalism have changed to a point where I am simply not on board.


I enjoy getting my writing fix as a freelance writer for my former
employer, Napa Valley Publishing, on Friday nights during high school
football season and by updating this blog a couple of times per week.
Both involve different writing approaches. With the former, I am
covering the game, presenting facts, talking to the local coach, and
at the same time taking an analytical approach on the outcome of
the game. With the latter, I’m not claiming to be a member of the
media because I’m not breaking stories. I am giving my opinion but
at the same time substantiating my views with facts, at least I try to
do so. Sometimes those facts are not to some people’s satisfaction
by so be it.


Which brings me to my next point, those who complain about how
the news is presented also need to assume a role in the media
sensationalizing the news. Before you scream, “Vince, you are
blaming the victim! How dare you!” understand one thing, the
media is like any other business, they are there to make money.
The reason they sensationalize the news? Why? Because the same
news that you are tired of listening to or reading, you keep returning
to that place. Translation, you are enabling the media. I know you
don’t want to hear that but you need to hear it.


That approach is no different that if a restaurant is selling more
French Dip sandwiches than hamburgers, they are going to plan on
cooking more French Dip sandwiches.


I recently had a conversation with someone and this person said:
“Journalism stopped being journalism 20 years ago.” While I agree
that the fundamentals of journalism have been bastardized in than
span, I would contend that 20 years ago was the pre-social media
era and was not off the rails yet.


When social media networks got into full bloom around the mid-to-late
2000s, the lines between citizen journalism and traditional journalism
became increasingly blurred to where there is no line whatsoever.
The media culture has also gotten to where anyone with a body
temperature can establish a blog, start cacamaimy rumors and get
10,000 clicks. Since I established this blog, I suppose you can say
that it is a stone that I should not throw. However, since I grew up
in a generation of reading and hear journalists that had standards
and I was taught in college to have standards -- shoutout University
of Nebraska College of Journalism -- on those moments where I
have hot takes, I know how to be measured.


While I am not absolving or defending the media for sensationalizing
the news, the consumers need to understand that they play a role.
You can debate this argument on a chicken and egg level. Does
the media sensationalize because the consumers like it? Or do
consumers like it because the media sensationalize?


Let that question marinate for a moment.  



No comments:

Post a Comment