Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Zavala's kindness and affable personality were unmistakable

Some days life delivers a blow that can floor you in a split second
and also takes you back to your childhood. 

Yours truly and various other people that I grew up with, to name a
few, in the central part of Napa, CA, were reminded of such when
learning on Wednesday, March 24, of the passing of our childhood
friend, Ricardo Zavala (46). 

Zavala had been reported missing since Thursday, March 18,
and according to a report in the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, the
authorities discovered Zavala’s body about 30 yards offshore
from Duncan’s Landing, which is in Bodega Bay, CA. 

According to Zavala’s obituary, which was released in the online
version of the Napa Valley Register on Tuesday, there will not be
a service for Zavala because Napa County is under the shelter
in place directive based on the Coronavirus. 

Zavala is survived by his parents (Luis and Obdulia), his five older
brothers (Jose Luis, Roberto, Fernando, Raul, Miguel) along with
nephews and nieces. 

Zavala graduated from Napa High and later attended school at
Napa Valley College. Safeway, Target and Walmart were among
the places that he worked. Zavala had various interests which
included but were not limited to listening to music (specifically 70s,
80s, 90s), watching movies and TV shows, reading, going to the
park and the beach. The lifelong Napa resident, however, spent
much time and energy caring for his parents. 

I’m not going to make assumptions on how Zavala became missing
or how his life was taken so suddenly because I don’t think there is
a place for conjecture. The sadness of Zavala’s passing is
immutable and brought back memories of yesteryear for me,
most specifically the 1980s. For openers, Ricardo and I had the
same birthday but one year apart. There was an instant connection
as fellow Leos. 

My family spent the first 15 years of my life (1972-1987) in a Central
Napa neighborhood. After we had purchased property and built a
home in North Napa, we moved out of that neighborhood. Ricardo
and I only crossed paths a handful of times as adults but I could tell
that he was the same kind and affable person he was a kid with a
great sense of humor. 

Ricardo and Miguel, who is three years older, are the two Zavalas
that I enjoyed a friendship with along with a few others. I became
acquainted with the Zavalas through the Douglas kids (shoutout
Paul, Brian and Julie). The times that I enjoyed in that neighborhood
that involved Ricardo (known as Ricky when we were kids) and
several others included but were not limited to combination birthday/
slumber games, neighborhood plays and from time-to-time sports
activities. 

Oh, those neighborhood plays thanks to brother Miguel (known as
Michael when we were kids), who was the mastermind behind
orchestrating the masterpiece. I’m not surprised that Miguel
became a theatre arts teacher. The one that I most fondly remember
was the Wizard of Oz with the Douglas family’s backyard being the
grand stage. With various people throughout the neighborhood in
the audience being supremely entertained, that stage was our
version of Broadway. As for Ricardo, his performance as the Tin
Man took a backseat to no one. 

Perhaps the most extended conversation I had with Ricardo as
an adult came in 1998. I had just moved back to California from
Lincoln, NE, a few months earlier. I attended a service for a former
school-mate of mine at Justin-Siena High, Steve Szymanski. I looked
at the program and it listed Ricardo Zavala as one of the speakers.
I got to thinking, “Is that the same one that I grew up with in Central
Napa?” 

Sure enough, when he got to the altar it was the same guy. He was
very tall and stately looking. I did not get a chance to speak to him
at the reception so when I got home, I picked up the phone book
and found the number to the same Zavala home I remember
visiting numerous times as a kid. Pick up the phone book? Oh,
that sounds so 1998. I called him and we talked for about 45
minutes. I mainly wanted to compliment Ricardo on his speech
because it was so heartfelt. I remember him saying, “It means a lot
that you called.” After the conversation, I thought to myself, “He is
the same quality human being I knew as a kid.”

The lasting image that I have of Ricardo and every kid in the
neighborhood is that I feel like I knew them as kids but not the
adults they became. 

The fact that he devoted an enormous amount of time caring for
his parents also speaks to the person he became. Though I’m not
a caregiver, I have parents in their 80s that require much
assistance. I have no doubt such a task is a huge undertaking. 

It is often said, “you only live once.” That statement could not be
further from the truth because you die once but live everyday.
Ricardo’s kindness and affable personality were unmistakable. 

Ricardo, I’m in no hurry to get where you are going but I know we’ll
meet again someday. Perhaps, a Wizard of Oz encore might be in
order. 

No comments:

Post a Comment