Saturday, June 20, 2020

Korte's compassion and heroism knew no bounds

Life’s loss is often heaven’s gain.

In the moment, emotion prevails. As more time passes, you
continue to miss that person but realize the great life he or she lived.  

On Tuesday, June 9, 2020, heaven gained a great soul -- John
Henry Korte II. 

Mr. Korte died peacefully in his Napa, CA, home as a result of a
valiant battle with prostate cancer coupled with a broken hip as a
result of a fall one week earlier. 

Based on the Covid-19 pandemic, the family held a small funeral
and burial on June 17, 2020. The family plans for a more
extensive gathering at a later date to be determined when
circumstances allow. 

Mr. Korte passed away one month shy of what would have been
his 91st birthday. For complete details on his life, refer to the link
below: 

There are numerous things that I unpack as we celebrate the life
of a great human being. 

I first met Mr. Korte in 1988, memory escapes me exactly during
that year but that’s immaterial. Doing the math, that means I only
knew him for about one-third or so of his life. Based on who I got
to know, however, he felt like a lifelong friend and I’m a better
person for having known him. 

I developed a friendship with his youngest child, Greg, when we
were freshmen at Justin-Siena High School (Napa, CA). Our
friendship grew tighter because we were both experiencing difficult
times in life. Greg’s oldest sibling, John III, had died in the summer
of 1988. I still think to myself, “what an injustice to have parents
outlive their own child.” Two months later, my mother (Iris) was
experiencing a bout with cancer that was life-threatening at the
time but thankfully she remains alive today at age 81. It is often
said that in difficult times, you discover your friends and allies.
Greg became both to me -- and little did I know what followed,
the entire Korte family followed suit. 

Though we do not see each other with the frequency of past years,
neither time or distance has broken that friendship. Mr. Korte was
many things: father, family man, friend, hero, role model and a
damn good basketball player. If you were a friend of anyone in
the Korte household, you were treated like gold. Mr. Korte was
one of the most salt of the Earth human beings I have ever met in
my nearly 48 years of living. He was honest, principled,
compassionate, hard-working and a friend. 

He was a man for all seasons. Mr. Korte starred as a basketball
player in high school. In 1951, he was drafted into the army and
offered an all expenses paid trip to Asia (i.e. Korean War, “The
Forgotten War”). He proudly served his country as part of the 19th
Infantry, 24th Division and spent a brutally cold winter on the front
lines. Following that winter, while on leave in Japan, and preparing
to return to Korea, he was recruited by the regional Army
Basketball Team. He was offered the opportunity to play basketball
in Japan and not go back to the front lines, and he accepted. He
always said, “basketball may have saved my life.” 

I must say, Mr, Korte, that basketball court in your backyard was
impressive. In a sense pickup basketball at the Korte house
probably saved our lives too. Your son, Greg, hosted many
games that turned out to be some donnybrooks. It’s a good thing
they happened there where we policed ourselves but not
elsewhere. I guess it’s not so coincidental that he served as a
referee for 25 years. 

Though he worked for the United States Postal Service after
returning from Korea, Mr. Korte’s true calling came with the
Oakland Fire Department beginning in 1958 for a career that
lasted 36 years. He advanced from hose man to Lieutenant to
Captain. Mr. Korte’s role in the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989
is what we remember because it grabbed headlines and coincided
with the World Series but it’s his longevity as a first responder
that carries the most weight.  

Anyone who puts his life on the line defending our country in a
war like scenario and as a first responder earns my love and r
espect seven days a week and twice on Sunday. Though Greg
and I have grown into our family and professional lives and don’t
see each other as much as our younger days as a result, we keep
in touch on social media. Every once in a while I crossed paths
with Mr. and Mrs. Korte around Napa, we talked about many
things from sports to family to everywhere in between. Sometimes,
the conversations went off the rails but I digress. Mr. Korte always
asked about my parents. He frequently referred to them as “first
round draft picks.” Selfishly, I concur with him but I consider Mr.
and Mrs. Korte in that select company as well. 

The entire Korte family are wonderful souls: his loving wife, Lois,
followed by his kids: the aforementioned John III, Joe, Jean and
Greg. My tightest friendship was with Greg since he was my
classmate but in this immediate family, Mr. Korte was the
patriarch. 

One of the more misunderstood narratives is “you only live once.”
Not true. You die once but you live every day. Mr. Korte lived nine
decades to the fullest. The sadness of his loss is immutable but
if we can take a portion of his life in terms of making a difference
to others, we will all be better people. 

Mr.Korte, I’m in no hurry to get to where you are going but I’m as
sure as Monday comes after Sunday that we will meet again
someday. When I get there, I look forward to chopping it up with
you. 

NOTE: In lieu of flowers the family would appreciate memorial
donations be made to St. Apollinaris Church St. Vincent de Paul
Society at 3700 Lassen St., Napa, CA 94558 or St. Jude's
Foundation at 501 St. Jude Place • Memphis, TN 38105.

No comments:

Post a Comment