Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Overreaction culture is comical among sports fans

Sometimes, you have to express yourself for your own amusement. 


As sports fans, we have our allegiances. To be specific, in pro sports
mine are the San Francisco 49ers (NFL), San Francisco Giants (MLB)
and the San Antonio Spurs (NBA). For college sports, specifically
football, my loyalty lies with the Nebraska Cornhuskers. For basketball,
over the years I have had none except for rooting for whoever Rick
Pitino was coaching. 


The term bandwagon gets thrown around freely in description of fanbases,
as if it is more prevalent in some than others. In my observation, I do not
see a quantifiable metric that shows one fanbase being any more loyal or
fickle than the other. Every fanbase has their diehards and front-runners.
Seriously, how many New York Yankees attire did you see in the early
1990s when they stunk? While you can measure fan attendance, that metric
also does not measure how negative or cynical the fanbase becomes in times
of adversity like you can in times of success. 


You hear the tenor of the individual fans whether in person, sports talk,
message boards and social media. There are various different types of fans
and, no, we’re not talking loyal or bandwagon because it is too simplistic
of a description. Here are a few examples: 


The sunshine and rainbows fan: To this fan, no one can do any wrong,
not the players, coaches, front office or administrators. The team can be
undefeated or winless and they have an unassailable cheery mindset. They
sound like the Mary Poppins/participation trophy crowd. The season could
be a lost cause, say an NFL team that is 2-6 and this fan thinks the team is
winning eight straight to get to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. At
which point I say, “There’s a better chance I find an ocean in Wyoming.” 


The realist: This fan prides themselves on being optimistic but knows the
team’s situation at hand well enough to temper any prematurely high
expectations. During the season, this fan acknowledges the team’s strengths
and is constructively critical in pointing out the team’s flaws. This fan
understands the eyeball test but to some, this fan makes too much sense,
which in some circles is not allowed. 


The Negative Nellie: In some ways this fan is self explanatory but I’ll
describe them anyhow. This fan’s team could win the Super Bowl, NBA
title, World Series or NCAA championship and complain about the
champagne. Need I say more? 


The stupidly loyal fan: With this fan, if you say anything even remotely
negative about the team you are branded as being a “hater,” “not a real fan,”
“if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say it at all,” etc. I laugh “at”
these people but not “with” them. 


The Hot Take fan: These fans listen too much to the likes of Skip Bayless
and Stephen A. Smith (aka Screamin’ A Smith). 


The approach I take with my teams of allegiance is that I’m not immune to
emotional reaction to success or failure. I can sometimes be overly optimistic
before the season but I’m closest to being a realist. I can justify the excessive
optimism before the season by saying at that stage, you view your team as
“what is the best version I see?” However, I will always peel back by asking,
“What is the best case scenario? What is the worst case scenario?” 


Despite what anyone says, you can be critical of your team and still be a fan.
When it comes to  roster moves, firing coaches, firing general managers and
administrators, those thoughts are open to subjectivity. You agree with some,
you disagree with others. Of course, in the social media age, I can say that I
prefer red wine over white wine and some Jabroni will react by saying in
dorky fashion, “So what you’re saying is you hate white wine so while
you’re at it, say you hate rose’ as well.” I laugh when I read these comments,
except I laugh “at” them not “with” them. 


When it comes to opinions, I have a very simple rule, “You are entitled to your
opinion but you are not entitled to tell me what mine should be.” 


I also believe that blindly defending every decision made in relation to your
team does not make you any better of a fan than the one that is honestly
critical. In fact, it makes you blindly loyal to the point of being stupid. 


When it comes to loyalty, I have been the first to criticize fans for switching
allegiances but the older I get I view this era of free agency, graduate transfers
and owners moving franchises and ask, “how can we ask fans to be loyal?” 

Listening to fans reactions can be therapeutic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment