Sunday, September 15, 2019

Rekindling friendships in Lincoln

Reporter’s note: This is the second of three stories on my
trip back to Lincoln, NE, to attend a football game to see
my beloved alma mater, the University of Nebraska take
on Northern Illinois. The Huskers won 44-8. Most of all, this
trip was highlighted by reuniting with old friends. The
previous version was photo driven, which can be viewed
in the link below. This one, however, will be verbally driven.
The third will focus on a hopeful resurrection of Husker
football: 




In 1978, R&B artist Peaches & Herbs recorded a famous song
titled “Reunited.” 


My recent trip back to Lincoln, NE, could have epitomized that
theme. The only difference was the vacation did not center
around reuniting after a breakup. To give you context, I am a
1997 University of Nebraska graduate and diehard Husker fan
living in Napa, CA, where I have spent most of my life. 


My four years in Lincoln, NE, however, I still cherish to this day.
I received a great education. I watched Husker football dominate
the college landscape in going 60-3 with three National
Championships. I also made many great friends. 


My last trip to the Cornhusker state was 2008. The trip involved
attending the season-opening football game and reuniting with
various friends. My time in Lincoln had three groups of friends:
a) My Cather Hall group, b) My Daily Nebraskan group and c)
My Broadcast House group. I would have loved to have spent
time with all three groups but I would have needed an entire
week to pull of that endeavor. 


I arrived in Lincoln on Thursday afternoon. After checking into
my hotel room at the Super 8, at separate times I caught up with
my old Broadcast House colleagues Jeff Motz and Mike Johnson.
The former of whom I met at his place of employment, KFOR
(1240 AM) and the latter at Brewsky’s for dinner and drinks. Jeff,
Mike and I pressed through many battles as part-timers in our
early to mid 20s. Seeing what they have become personally and
professionally are great sights. I last saw Jeff when I moved out
of Lincoln in 1998 and Mike on the aforementioned 2008 trip. I
intend to keep our friendship. 


The next two days were spent with my old Cather Hall friends led
by Jason Page, Matt Johns, Scott Armkneckt and Mike Bowker.
Page and his in-laws deserve the ultimate shoutout. For openers,
a lady known as “Grandma Geisler” scored us two tickets, 20-
yard line, eight rows up from the field. His mother and father-in-
law, Linda and Kelly Geisler offered us to stay in their home. Two
nights of not spending money on hotels? Happy birthday to me. I
often refer to Page as my “Nebraska brother.” 


Page, and to a lesser degree Johns, are two friends I have
maintained the most contact. Though this was my first in-person
encounter with both of them, we have stayed in touch over the
years via phone, text, social media, etc. 


I booked this trip through expedia in January and Page was the
first one I told. He sowed the seeds for us to be reunited. Page
and I met on Friday as he drove from Lee’s Summit, MO., which
is about a three-hour drive to Lincoln. Johns came from Colorado. 


Page and I had conversations that screamed, “It’s 1998 all over
again!” The conversations ranged from our families, memories
and Husker football. Sometimes it went off the rails as evidenced
by constant belly laughs. On Friday, we enjoyed off the hook
meals at the Engine House (breakfast) and Misty’s Restaurant &
Lounge (dinner). At the latter establishment, their meats are aged
to perfection and melt in your mouth. In the process, if you go on
Friday night before a football game, the University of Nebraska
pep band performs. That performance, succulent prime rib dinner,
washed down by a Blue Moon or six, and you get heaven on Earth. 


In between those meals included a tour of the campus, which in
many places has been renovated, along with the athletic facilities
that displayed a bevy of Husker history. The day also included
meeting up with my cousin, Christonio Guerrera (son of my cousin
Chris Guerrera). I have told many friends, “25 years later, the
University of Nebraska gets someone with D’Adamo lineage from
Northern California.” 


On Saturday, we had Lord knows how many hours to kill since it
was a 7 p.m. kickoff. Page wants to go out to breakfast. No big deal.
I get up for work at 4:15 a.m. So we go to the Village Inn for a
monster breakfast. Page’s theory was to establish a base since we
were going to walk a lot. That was no deterrent for me, I’m on my
feet a lot with my job anyhow. 


So we walked around the campus and downtown Lincoln.
Unbeknownst to me, Page and Johns choreographed a surprise
for me. We turn left on O Street from North 9th. We see a guy in a
lawn chair wearing an ugly lime green shirt looking incognito. Page
turns to me and says, “Who the hell wears green?” I take a closer
look, “That guy looks like Johns.” The guy keeps a low profile and
pitches a football at me, option style, which I caught cleanly and
yells, “Go Big Red!”


Though there is no video/audio, Johns and I wildly embraced,
muttering words all over the place. I remember yelling, “Goddammitt
it’s you Matt Johns after all these blanking years!” 


I am still stunned to this day that Johns and I reconnected in person.
Or should it be reunited? 

This trip has more details ......

No comments:

Post a Comment