Sunday, December 16, 2018

Bowl game conference solidarity not for everyone

To root or not to root. To have someone root for or against you.


Every season when college football bowl games start or the NCAA basketball
tournament gets underway, you frequently hear people talk about “rooting for
teams in the conference.” The argument in favor of that is so the conference looks
good and benefits both financially and on the recruiting front.


That sentiment has value because many schools, in and out of conference, are
competing for the same recruits so a nice uptick at the end of the season never
hurts. As salient as the point is to root for conference teams in the postseason,
I don’t just roll over on command when I hear it.


Let me be perfectly clear. I understand that everyone emotes differently. Whether
you are one that roots for the conference or does not, one way is not any more
right or wrong than the other. I fall into to “does not” category. I’m not here to tell
you how to feel, I am simply explaining my stance. If you agree with me, fine. If
not, that’s fine too.


For example, I am a proud University of Nebraska graduate (Class of 1997) and
a diehard Cornhusker fan. The last two football seasons have been difficult and
the last 20 have been full of peaks and valleys but with Scott Frost at the helm, I
believe a return to greatness will return sooner rather than later but that’s another
discussion entirely.


Sure, it is better for a conference to go 6-2 instead of 2-6 in bowl games, NCAA
tournaments, etc. The problem I have is that rooting for the conference is the most
disingenuous and phony idea on the Planet Earth. I took that approach once and I
needed a shower later.

So what you’re saying is that a Red Sox fan should root for the Yankees if they are
in the World Series just for American League East solidarity? So what you are
saying is that a San Francisco Giants fan should root for the Los Angeles Dodgers
in the World Series just so the National League West looks good? If I know of any
such fan they should have their fan card ripped off their chest in public. I know
MLB and NCAA are two different entities but it is the exact same principle.

The most fundamental problem I have with the “root for the conference” theory is
this: I have rooted against these teams all season long so now I suddenly have to
root for them as a benefit to the conference? To that I say, “Hell no!” I’m more
concerned with how Nebraska does in its bowl game or NCAA Tournament game.
Granted, my team has not had the former in two years but I digress. If the Huskers
win and the conference goes 2-6 in bowl games, I can say, “well, that’s not on us.”
However, Nebraska loses, or fails to reach a bowl game, and the conference goes
6-2, my thought becomes, “we didn’t hold up our end of the bargain.” Therefore,
the conference success with my team’s loss becomes hollow.


I'm not necessarily opposed to rooting for a team in the conference but if I do,
conference solidarity has no bearing. It might be because I dislike the team they
are playing more. Four years ago, I rooted for Ohio State over Oregon because
where I live (Napa, CA) I deal with so many bandwaggon Oregon fans. In that
stretch, the volume of Oregon fans was rooted in this area having two locals (John
Boyett, Napa High Class of 2008; Chris Seisay, American Canyon Class of 2013)
playing for Oregon. I am all for wanting to see local kids succeed but I’m not giving
up my Nebraska fandom for their team. I'll root for the Indianas or Marylands of the
world because those teams are never good enough to dislike.

So, if you catch me rooting for a team in the Big Ten in their bowl game, conference
solidarity plays no role whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment