Thursday, February 14, 2019

Appreciating the competitiveness of high school wrestlers

Sometimes you are reminded of certain things when you need an excuse
to escape the house for a few hours.


For me, that moment came on Saturday, Feb. 9, when I told my wife that I
would venture to Napa High to catch the Vine Valley Athletic League
wrestling tournament for a couple of hours. I was not going to stay for the
duration because I spent many Saturdays in my previous career of sports
reporter watching a full day and reporting on wrestling. I enjoyed a fun
couple of hours watching the aforementioned event and chopping it up
with my friends, Dan Boyett and Joe Croxdale among others.


When I use the term “reminded,” I don’t mean it as I was not aware before,
instead it reinforces the truism of the idea. In my 18 years as a sports
reporter covering mostly high school athletics, I was constantly reminded
how wrestling took a backseat to basketball when it comes to winter sports.
In a way, it made me sensitive to giving highly successful wrestlers their
due over mediocre basketball teams or players.


My years on the Upvalley beat, specifically St. Helena, were a perfect
illustration of “I can’t win no matter what I do.” Under then head coach
Herschel Sandler’s guidance, the Saints won nine league titles in ten
seasons from 1998-2007 and a CIF North Coast Section Class A title
and had four wrestlers reach the State Meet. In that same span, St.
Helena High basketball was sub. 500. I took the approach that in
community journalism it is best to celebrate success and minimize failure.
From the wrestling zealots, I got a bunch of “attaboys.” The basketball
zealots looked at me and suggested, “I get it, we want our 64-40 loss to
Middletown buried.” If the basketball team won and I put it above the fold
with wrestling as the main package, I’d get complaints of how basketball
was still being highlighted.


I’ll probably get pushback from football coaches but I have long contended
that wrestling is the most physically demanding among high school
sports I have seen offered. The physical nature on the mat is most
apparent but when you factor in that wrestlers are either starving
themselves to reach a lower weight class or eating like mad to reach a
higher weight class. That nutrition intake -- or lackthereof -- must be hell
on your body.


The best part of wrestling is that it is a sport that does not penalize a kid
for his or her side. As for the latter, girls wrestling teams and tournaments
have become exceedingly more mainstream over the past 20 years or so,
and that is a good thing. Granted, there are cases where a female defeats
her male counterpart but keep in mind the purpose of Title IX being
created in 1972 was to allow females to compete on a more level playing
field.


I also noticed a disconnect between wrestling and basketball fans. The
frequent narrative was, “why does a basketball team that places third in a
non league tournament get more press than a wrestler or wrestling team
for winning a tournament?” Fair question but I think I have an answer of
some sort. It’s easy to blame the media but on some level the consumer
assumes a role. All of the years, I gave St. Helena wrestling dominance
top billing in the sports section over below average basketball, I also had
a few people say, “Vince, I get that you want to celebrate success but I
can’t get into reading your wrestling stories.” I didn’t take offense but yes,
at the high school level, you take the approach of celebrate success and
report failures with sensitivity.


Another theory you have to understand is that even if you have never
picked up a basketball in your life, you can comprehend the following: a)
Pick and roll, b) Michael Jordan drives to the basket, gets double-teamed,
passes to a wide open Steve Kerr, who hits the 3-pointer or c) Magic
Johnson lobs the ball into the post to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. If Kareem
gets double-teamed, he’ll pass to Byron Scott for a 3-pointer. If Kareem
is one-on-one, he’ll make a move and shoot his patented sky-hook.
Whereas, most people can’t comprehend terms like: a) Single-leg
takedown, b) Reversal, c) Near fall or d) Short time.


Consider this an explanation more than a justification.

No comments:

Post a Comment