Thursday, February 21, 2019

Vallejo loses an accomplished coach and quality human being in Brown

Sometimes news breaks and it makes you reflect on a portion of your career,
even if it was a small one.


The Vallejo Times-Herald reported in its online version on Wednesday that
long-time Vallejo High basketball is stepping away from coaching. I hesitate to
use the term retire because Brown himself did not utter the word.


Brown, who is 53-years old, has compiled 259 career wins as the Apaches
turned Redhawks coach since taking over for the revered Vic Wallace before
the 2001-2002 season. Brown led Vallejo to 10 consecutive CIF Sac Joaquin
Section playoff wins from 2002-2011, including four trips to Arco Arena, which
is the former home of the NBA’s Sacramento Kings. If you were playing at
that venue, that meant you were one step away from the Section title game.


The Times Herald also reported that Brown made the announcement midway
through the 2018-2019 campaign but the news did not go public until
Wednesday. Brown’s final game was the Redhawks (Oh my, I guess I have to
make that reference but I get through it) North Coast Section playoff loss to
Redwood (Larkspur), 64-53. Brown, however, will remain in his career in
education with his current role being an academic support provider at
Highland Elementary School.


I spent 18 years in the sports journalism industry, most in my hometown of
Napa Valley, CA, but I had the chance to cover Vallejo and Benicia, which
are about 20-30 minutes South of Napa, for two years. I worked for
GetLocalNews.com, which was a startup internet news service. If I do say
so, we kicked ass and took names, until the company went belly up and
underwent a staff-wide layoff but that’s another story for another day.
Shoutout to my sports reporting brethren Brian Cornelius and Chris Navalta.
I felt blessed to work with them as the Napa guy among two Vallejoans.


In any event, I had many interactions with Brown from 2001-2003. For two
years, Vallejo High boys basketball was an appointment event, in large part
thanks to DeMarcus Nelson, who was a true once in a generation talent:




As it pertains to Brown, the Apaches drew monster crowds both home and
away. He knew everyone wanted to see the incredibly skilled Nelson. His
biggest challenge was keeping the team grounded. Good thing Nelson played
high school basketball in the pre-social media era. I would be remiss not to
mention a few other quality players on those teams like Madison Butts,
D’Angelo Mack, Amos Carter and Warner West.


In my interactions with him, Brown handled the team’s success and the
spotlight/scrutiny that came with it very adroitly. The interaction I still remember
to this day was December 2002, Vallejo was playing in a tournament at Madison
Square Garden. Yes, that Madison Square Garden. As in New York. I called
Brown to get game results but had a few other questions to the effect of a)
Playing away from home? And b) What message do you preach to the kids?
His answer, “I remember what Foster Hicks once told me, ‘You have to prepare
for war in times of peace.’” Brown in a 1983 graduate of Hogan High, which is
Vallejo’s former rival. Hicks was his coach.


I forget Brown’s verbiage after the first line but that quote spoke volumes. He
felt the importance of preparing his team for the intense spotlight it would face.
Brown was a very refreshing person. I have dealt with a few coaches who
despise dealing with the media. I cannot speak for Brown enjoying it but he
knew how to play the game. He always spoke how he was excited to see you
but it was never forced. His excitement was real.


Brown’s adaptability also spoke volumes in that he was a multi-sport athlete
at Hogan, playing football and basketball. The former, however, was his better
sport but a knee injury at Fresno State forced his hand toward basketball.


Among the reasons Brown sited for stepping away from coaching is the fact
that he has four daughters, one is a freshman in high school and another in
eighth grade. Any life in sports requires time away from family and your kids’
events. I’ve gotten a taste of that life. It’s not easy.


I hope we have not seen the last of Brown on the sideline because he has
long been an asset.

However, coach Brown, you have more than earned the right to enjoy life
without a clipboard and whistle. Cheers, coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment