Sunday, April 21, 2019

The blessed feeling of leaving a career on your own accord

Some decisions that you make in life are ones you know are the right ones
even before the outcome translates into reality.


However, when you see subsequent events, it further re-affirms that you
made the right decision. To make a sports analogy, it’s like a quarterback
who calls the play in the huddle, gets to the line of scrimmage, sees that
the play won’t work against that defensive front and audibles into another
play.


To give you context, in December 2014, I left behind my career of sports
reporter, the only one that I knew in my post college life. For the last four
and a half years, I have worked as a delivery driver for Alhambra Water.


The reasons for the move were plentiful, none the least of which were a)
Pay was not very good, and I’m being kind, b) Scattershot schedule was
not conducive for family life and c) The industry continues to shrink and
become de-emphasized. Part C is quite evident as you see many long time
newspaper employees get bought out and offered early retirement packages
as a form of cost-cutting.


Two weeks ago, I received a phone call from Marty James, who is approaching
40 years of employment with the Napa Valley Register. The publication is a
community daily in Napa, CA, that also produces three weekly editions
(Weekly Calistogan, St. Helena Star and American Canyon Eagle) Marty has
worn many hats over the years from reporter, editor, executive sports editor
and senior sports reporter.


Yours truly worked for and with Marty for 14 years. So I am on my lunch
break in Concord, CA, when Marty called. I did not pick up so Marty left a
message to call him back. When I finished eating, I returned Marty’s call.
He informed me that the Register was offering any editorial employee over
the age of 55 with over 10 years of experience incentive to retire now.
There are six of such employees that fall under that umbrella. To date, only
Marty and now former photo editor J.L. Sousa accepted the severance
package.


Kevin Courtney, who has been a Register reporter for 47 years, was one that
did not take the buyout package, which was two weeks pay for every year
of service with a maximum of 26 weeks. The downside of not accepting the
buyout is running the risk of getting let go later with no severance. I’m not
going to cast judgment on Kevin’s decision because it’s not my place but
he expounded on his reasons in his Sunday column:




There’s a few things that I unpack from this chain of events. For openers,
though writing is no longer my career, I have found a way to stay involved
on two fronts: a) As a freelance reporter covering Friday night high school
football for the Register and b) Updating this blog a couple times per week.
While I have no regrets changing careers because it was best for both my
family and me, I would feel like part of my identity was lost if I gave up
writing.


Though I understand the newspaper industry’s reason behind cutting costs,
including but not limited to the online and social media reading to loss of
advertising dollars, it’s sad to see those who have put in multiple decades
in the industry see their fate decided by other factors. It’s easy to blame the
corporate powers that be, and though I’m not absolving them, culture change
is also part of the decline of the newspaper industry.


The only ones that are still loyal to reading newspapers are your 80 and
older crowd. The Baby Boomers and Generation Xers, of which I fall into
the latter, grew up reading newspapers but we’ve moved on from that way
of getting our news. The millenial and younger crowd, however, wouldn’t
get caught dead reading a newspaper.


Perhaps my biggest takeaway from this chain of events is that if I did not
make my move, I would have been a buyout candidate within the next
eight years if not sooner. After all, at the time I left the industry, I had 18
years of experience and I will be 47 in August.

While I realize that we do not always get to decide our professional fate,
I am exceedingly blessed that I walked away from an industry that sends
a lot of people packing. There were certain things that compelled me to
leave the industry but I am blessed beyond belief that I did such on my
own accord.

No comments:

Post a Comment