Monday, February 23, 2015

Time Out with Chris Tamayo (2001 Vintage High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Chris Tamayo: My favorite part about competing was the team camaraderie that was built during the season and after. You become pretty close as a family on the football field. We all had the same goals and shed blood, sweat, and tears together to achieve those goals.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Tamayo: After high school I moved on from football. I started doing some martial arts because I missed competing and eventually after college I joined the Marine Corps. I found that my time in the Marine Corps was another organization surrounded by like-minded individuals looking to accomplish the same goals and shared hardship to serve their country. I am currently a Deputy U.S. Marshal and of course law enforcement is another organization like the others I have been a part of.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Tamayo: Math and science were always my strong subjects.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Tamayo: I have two favorite moments/games that I'll never forget. The homecoming game of my senior year against Vallejo would be one. They had an amazing rushing attack with Draak Davis and Phil Goodman. Defensively we practiced hard and studied their lineman even harder. The way they pulled their lineman made it easy to read and step up in the hole and defeat the run. I was a linebacker and remember we were able to shut them down like no other team could. It still was a close game but we edged it out. My other favorite was going out my senior year beating Napa High of course.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Tamayo: I have grown leaps and bounds since high school and a lot of that started with what football taught me. Things don't come easy in life, you have to work hard to achieve your goals. It also helped develop my leadership style that I ended up bringing to the Marines.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Tamayo: My mom, dad, and sister have all been the most influential people. They have always been there to support me in sports, school, and through my career. I wouldn't be where I am today without their love and support.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.

Tamayo: I'd probably say Vince Lombardi. That man was a great leader and new how to inspire his team.

No comments:

Post a Comment