Saturday, July 11, 2015

Time Out with Steven Dinov (2011 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Steven Dinov: What I have enjoyed the most about competing in athletics has been the camaraderie that I have experienced within sports. When I really think about it, all of my closest friends have all been teammates of mine at one point in time. Because I have been fortunate enough to compete beyond high school at the collegiate level I have gotten to meet people from all over the country who have become some of my best friends.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?
Dinov: Since graduating from Napa High in 2011, I briefly attended Arizona State before I transferred to Pasadena City College in the spring of 2012. At PCC I played football for two-years while also taking courses at NVC and Solano CC which helped me earn my Associate’s Degree in Communications. After PCC I transferred to North Central College in Naperville, IL where I am entering my senior season as a football player. At North Central I am also a sports broadcaster with the college radio station (WONC-FM) which this past year was deemed by the IBS as the best overall college radio station in the country. Extracurricular activities aside, I plan to graduate this upcoming spring with a B.A in Communications.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?
Dinov: I had a hard time picking just one but I equally enjoyed English with Mr. Botton, Geometry with Mr. Gregory and AP Government with Mr. Hatton. In all three of those classes I had a great group of classmates and had teachers who inspired me to be a better student.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?
Dinov: My favorite athletic moment had to be playing in the last game at the original Memorial Stadium and the first game at the renovated Memorial Stadium. With all the history and traditions that the stadium has in this town and its community, I think that it is pretty neat that I was a part of that historical moment.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?
Dinov: I have grown significantly since high school both physically and mentally. Sports have taught me a work ethic that I can use in almost every aspect of life. In addition through sports I have gotten to meet so many people who have left a valuable influence on me and helped steer me into a positive direction in life.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?
Dinov: Within my family the most influential people have without a doubt been my mother and father. They have been my biggest supporters from the start and have provided me with everything I could have ever needed to be where I am today.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Dinov: If there was anybody I could meet it would probably be Vin Scully. As a Dodger fan and an aspiring broadcaster I have grown up listening to him call games and cannot imagine anyone who has ever done it better than him. Also considering how long Vin Scully has been a professional broadcaster it would be so awesome just to hear some of stories that he has been covered over years dating all the way back to when he covered the Brooklyn Dodgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment