Sunday, July 10, 2016

Time Out with Jacob Wolfe: Vintage High 2001 graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Jacob Wolfe: Looking back and being apart of organized sports since the age of five, I think there are two things that I really enjoyed. The first is playing on teams with some really great people and building some great bonds with those people. I have had the pleasure of playing with a lot of great people over the years and had great memories of playing with all of them. The second is that there is nothing like game day. From the pregame until the handshakes at the end, there is nothing else like it.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Wolfe: After graduating from Vintage in 2001, I attended and played football for  St. Mary's College, a small Division 1-AA (now FCS) school up until they dropped the football program in 2004. I then transferred to Northern Arizona University where I finished off my last two years of eligibility. I then went back to St. Mary's after my last season at NAU and got my B.S.E in Business Administration. Since Graduating in 2006, I have had different jobs in sales and customer service, but since 2012 I have worked in the logistics industry. Right now, I work for APM Terminals in Long Beach where I work in the Vessel Operations Department.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?

Wolfe: My favorite class hands down was Coach (Mike) Flohr's senior economics class.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?

Wolfe: My O-line coach, Jon Conner, put it best the day before my last Big Game, he brought us all together after practice and told us that we would look back as we got older and we would always remember the all the Big Games that we were apart of. I still remember every single one. From freshman year, when we beat Napa twice. JV year where Napa put a small blemish on our perfect season when they tied the game on a last second trick play. My junior year when Grant Jacka caught a last second touchdown pass in the right corner of the end zone from Justin Nunley. Finally my senior year where we beat Napa 41-15. I had great memories in all of them.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Wolfe: I have grown tremendously since leaving Napa in 2001. All of my growth can be attributed to my experience in athletics. Athletics teaches you many things that you need to succeed in the real world. A few that have helped me the most are; attention to detail, time management, working well with others to achieve a common goal, learning from your mistakes so that you can be better at what you do, and working well under pressure.The list could go on but I can honestly say I would not be where I am today without the the things I learned from playing sports.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Wolfe: 6. Within my family I think that all have helped me out tremendously along my way whether it was in athletics or just life in general. First and foremost would be my mom and dad.The others would be my uncles, Joe Ruffino and Perry Brace.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Wolfe: I think the man who I would want to meet the most is Bill Walsh. The man was successful both on and off the field. I would love just to pick his brain about football and just life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment