Friday, July 22, 2016

Time Out with Malik Flores: 2013 American Canyon High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Malik Flores: There's a great camaraderie that comes with participating in athletics, especially in football and all team-orientated sports. I enjoyed my years of playing for football at ACHS because of the bond we all formed both inside and outside of it. How often did you see teammates, especially at our age, getting together on a Sunday for some Popeye's and a movie?
D’Adamo: What have you been up to since graduating from high school?
Flores: The first couple of years after graduation were rocky. Mom got sick and I quickly had to grow up and become the head of the house. I also had my first job during this time as a dishwasher at a retirement home, but that ended with the aforementioned crisis. Things got much better after that.
Nowadays, I'm working at a party rental warehouse as their heavy lifter after deciding to not continue on with college. My next goal is to achieve my childhood dream of becoming a Marine. Like all things, it's going to take time.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class here at American Canyon High?
Flores: My favorite class had to be the combined history/english class with Mr. Olson and Mr. Fultz. While the subjects were engaging enough for me on their own (I actually write from time to time, and I love studying the World Wars), these two gentlemen made the learning experience one to be enjoyed.
D’Adamo: What was it like being part of history at American Canyon High as the school opened?
Flores: There's a great sense of pride knowing that you're one the first graduating students of American Canyon High School. One of my co-workers recognized me since they went to the school as well, and I could feel this sense of respect between us. It's not everyday that you can do something like that.
D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since high school and how much of that growth do you trace to athletics?
Flores: I feel that I've grown greatly since high school. A lot of my good habits can be traced back to the simple things we did for football, like waking up at 5 a.m. for morning weight room or keeping good bonds with your supervisors like we did with our teachers. I also feel that football has made my blue-collar life a lot easier since it gave me the skills, strength and knowledge to work with a team of individuals on completing tasks.
D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Flores: There's one individual who's been the most influential in my life, even if he's only here in spirit. That man's my grandfather, Victor Flores. He was a Gunny in the Corps, so he's not only my idol, he's the perfect role model for me to follow in my everyday life. There's others too, like my mother, who's workaholic habits have finally grown on me. You could say I'm the workaholic in the household now.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet.

Flores: I would like to meet John F. Kennedy. I feel that he's a unique person that could have some potential insight on problems we face nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment