Thursday, May 10, 2018

Being a former sports reporter is helping me as a sports parent

Sometimes, the best sports columns you read resonate on levels you never imagined.
Just about a year ago, give or take a few days, Vallejo Times-Herald sports reporter
Thomas Gase wrote a column that I put in select company. The topic was about how
the bad parents at the youth sports level sully the name of the good ones.
The ways Gase pointed out how they sully the name include but are not limited to
extreme examples such as expressing obscenities, either in front of others or even
in private, at coaches or officials. Another way includes passive/aggressive
behaviors such as gathering allies to go to the powers that be to get rid of the coach.
I could give countless other examples but in the interest of space I will avoid such.
I see Gase from time-to-time when I cover high school football as a freelance
reporter. He does a fine job. I witnessed exactly what he refers to when I was a
sports reporter for 18 years before changing careers.
However, with an 11-year old and 9-year old twins, I am getting a taste of sports
parenthood. I frequently quip how I have crossed over from becoming a sports
reporter to a sports parent. Since my kids are so young, I don’t witness the quibbling
over playing time because at the youth level, every kid on the roster will receive
ample time. I believe that trend is a good thing because part of the impetus at that
level is to keep a youngster’s interest. However, I’m sure I’ll have that challenge
when they are in high school.
As a sports reporter, I saw the highest points (teams winning section titles) and the
low points. I saw basketball games that were blowouts but the bench goes crackers
when the 12th man scores a basket to get in the boxscore. In track & field, you might
see a kid smile like a butcher’s dog because he finished third but ran his best time of
his career.
Again, the examples of joy are endless and you learn to judge success differently.
I can also think of endless examples of parents being total shnooks in terms of having
an inflated ego when it comes to their youngster’s ability. One of the best examples
I can give was covering a high school boys basketball team that a 5-foot-4 point
guard. I will avoid using names. This kid’s mother was insistent that her kid play
AAU basketball because that was his best shot at playing basketball at the next level.
I did not say anything back to said parent because I felt it served no purpose. However,
deep down inside, I had my own viewpoints. How many 5-4 point guards do you see
in Div. I or the NBA? You might see a few below that level but not many. The root of
parents being delusional is them having an inflated idea of their youngster’s talent.
Then, of course, there are the parents that chastise the referees every chance they get.
As a little league parent, the only criticism I have of umpires is they expand the strike
zone to a fault. I get wanting to teach kids to swing the bat and not look for walks but
don’t expand it so much that a kid needs an orr to hit the ball. Then again, it’s easy to
be dismissive because if the team wins, the parent will ignore calls that went against
their team and espouse the ones called that their team benefited from, even if they
were terrible.
I believe my experience as a sports reporter is helping me as a sports parent because
I have seen enough bad behavior to know what not to emulate.
While I don’t expect my kids’ coaches to be Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Gregg
Popovich or Bruce Bochy, I have baseline expectations. For openers, I want them to
be engaged when it comes to teaching fundamentals. I also want them to teach a
balance of playing to win but having fun. At the youth level, the latter is as important
as the former. I also want structure. I cross paths with a friend I went to grade school
and high school with, I won’t mention names so as to protect identities. This lovely
friend, however, told me a story that made me cringe.
Both of our daughters play youth softball here in Napa, CA. we also both have sons
that played soccer. Her son, however, did not have a pleasurable experience in large
part because the volunteer coach had various practice sessions that involved playing
tag. I’m all for mixing in fun with youth sports but my goodness, they can play tag
at recess. Plus, if you are an adult volunteering the time to coach, the least you can
do is run a program that at least impersonates structure.
My son loves soccer. I don’t but if he loves it, I’m there for him. However, I wouldn’t
coach because I know I’m not qualified to teach the fundamentals of that sport.
Being a sports parent, we should want such a fate. Just don’t be the parent that is the
bad egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment