Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Time Machine: Life as a Wine Trolley tour guide

When you live somewhere, chances are you’re not doing the tourist things.


If you live in Las Vegas, chances are, you’re not on the strip everyday and if you
are, you’ve got bigger problems. If you live in New York, there are probably tourists
that have seen the Empire State building more than you. As a Northern California
native, I have only been to Alcatraz once and that was for my fifth grade field trip.


Napa and Sonoma Valley have about a combined 700 wineries (give or take a few).
I have lived in the latter of the two for 39 of the 45 years I have been alive. However,
when someone asks, “Vince what is your favorite place to go wine tasting?” My
answer becomes, “I have tasted a lot of wine in my life but as far as going places to
taste, I couldn’t get past three fingers.”


That answer floors a lot of people but once I give the aforementioned explanation,
most people understand.


From Dec. 2013-May 2015, I had the chance to sell the beauty of the region in
which I lived. Since April-October is considered tourist season, I find myself thinking
of that experience. I was a sports reporter in the newspaper industry. Since
newspapers were on a downward slope, I decided to get my Class B Driver’s
Licence because I felt that was a skill that would last. I decided that getting
experience in a part-time capacity in another field before transitioning to a full-time
level was best. It would involve juggling multiple employment because I was still
with the Napa Valley Register fulfilling duties as a sports reporter but the trade-off
would be worth it in the long run.


I had the opportunity to gain experience driving a bus for the Springs of Napa,
which is an independent living facility in Napa, CA. For that experience, read this
story:




Within that time frame, I also had the chance to use my Class B licence to give
wine tours. That experience came by driving for Beau Wine Tours, which is based
in Sonoma but also has the Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Sonoma Valley Wine
Trolley.


The trolleys were built to replicate San Francisco Cable cars and perform a unique
mode of transportation for tourists experiencing the beauty of the two valleys.


The work day involved taking guests to four different wineries, hosting a catered
gourmet lunch delivered by local establishments and providing commentary to
guests. The narration included but was not limited to the history of both valleys,
pointing out historical landmarks, explaining the process of winemaking, giving
historical nuggets of information about the wineries being visited, and providing
random factoids about wine.


When I went through the training process, wine trolley general manager Craig
Haskell encouraged me to learn from those who were training me but to adopt my
own approach when I was on my own. I told Craig that singing would be involved.
He replied with: “You go!” During the training process, I rode along with Ben Terry,
Will Patten and Jill Leone. All three were knowledgeable but brought different
approaches. I’d like to think I took a little from each but added my own taste.  


Ben wore his top hat. He was part R&B musician, part stand-up comic. Will was
the face of calm and happy in a society of anger. Just an aside, it saddens me to
this day that Will died in Dec. 2014 before going on tour. I speak for many that
worked at BWT but I still think of Will to this day. Jill’s personality was intimidating
to me at first. There was an intense vibe but she was in control of her tours. Jill
was also fun-loving and encouraged me not to be so nervous. I was struggling
with confidence because it was a new endeavor.


The irony was that one day when I was in training, Jill had me do all the work from
commentary to tour guide. She was simply there to observe and told me, “Just
pretend I am a guest.” when the day was over she said, “Vince, you are ready.”
That gave me the confidence I needed and I appreciate Jill for that to this day.


I still keep in contact Jill and Craig from time-to-time via text and/or e-mail. Jill now
has her own wine touring business. I seriously couldn’t be happier for her.


For a year and a half of driving the wine trolley, I applied the knowledge that Ben,
Will and Jill provided. Being a career sports reporter, I felt that the efficiency of the
commentary mattered more than the amount. I provided commentary in immense
fashion early in the day, while I had the guests attention. My reasoning, the more
alcohol in their system, the less their attention span would be. I gradually tapered
off on commentary as the day progressed.


Since the tour also involved driving by a dive bar: Blue Moon Saloon (Sonoma),
Panchas (Yountville) and Ana’s Cantina (St. Helena), I used that as a perfect time
to promote that I would sing after the last winery but “the singer would pick the song.”


I flirted with Bryan Adams “Summer of ‘69” and Jimmy Buffett “Margaritaville” but
eventually settled in with The Eagles “Take It Easy” because I felt that song reached
out to any cross section of tourists. I sang at the end of the day because to them,
eight glasses of wine later, I sounded good. Right now, I would probably choose
something from Elvis Presley.


In December 2014, I felt ready to transition out of my career as a sports reporter
doubling as a bus driver. However, through the probation stage of my new career
with Alhambra Water, I stayed with BWT so as to have a fallback option.


Five months later, I discovered I was simply too tired to juggle multiple employment
anymore. However, I will always consider this an enriching experience. Who knows,
I may revisit this endeavor when I am a cranky 65-year old retired Teamster.

No comments:

Post a Comment