Saturday, May 26, 2018

Just a few things to unpack from NFL National Anthem ruling

Phrases like “Stick to sports” and “I watch sports to escape politics” are among two
commonly uttered narratives that have engulfed sports fandom the last two years.
Sports and politics have always intertwined but in today’s social media climate, the platform
is more visible.
In lieu of protests that took place during the National Anthem before games, the NFL
announced on Wednesday after a two-day meeting that involved all 32 owners that individual
teams are allowed to discipline players who protest publicly while the song is playing. Under
the new ruling, players are permitted to stay in the locker-room while the National Anthem is
playing but owners have said that those on the sideline will be expected to stand or face
disciplinary action.
In case you have been frozen into position at the North Pole for the last two years, the move
started with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick became a national
figure when he started a firestorm
Kaepernick became a national figure when he ignited a firestorm of controversy by refusing
to stand while the National Anthem was being played before the start of NFL games. He
described his behavior as a protest against racial injustice and police brutality. His actions
prompted negative and positive responses. The negative responses included suggestions that
players who protest should be fired; other people displayed their disapproval of players'
protests by leaving the stadium immediately after the protests or refusing to watch games at
all. Positive responses included similar activity by additional athletes in the NFL and other
American sports leagues protesting in various ways during the National Anthem. In
November 2017, Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL and its owners, accusing
them of colluding to not hire him.
After listening to talk radio and reading social media posts, there are a few layers I unpack
from this decision:
First Amendment rights have time and place
Freedom of Speech is one of the most misunderstood notions that exist. The First
Amendment protects your right to say or express what you want. However, it does not
protect you from the ramifications of such expression.
No one is saying that professional athletes cannot use their time to be activists away from
their professional domain but it should be exactly that. Given that the new ruling permits
them to stay in the locker-room during the National Anthem, the players now have another
layer of freedom. Their protesting on company time actually gives them more freedom than
the average American.
As a white male, I completely acknowledge the following: a) I don’t what it’s like to be
black and nor can I pretend to do so, b) Black people experience more systemic racism than
white people in the United States, c) While they are many great police officers, police
brutality is an issue that should be taken seriously.
Fighting the good fight has a place and pro athletes should do so but not on company time. In
the real world, you risk losing your job if what you do is bad for business. That’s true whether
you are a professional athlete, insurance salesman or a tow truck driver. NFL ratings dropped
by about 10% last season, at least in part based on the National Anthem protests. There were
also various business that dropped sponsorship and advertising. That would qualify as
effecting the bottom line.   
NFL owners are no different than any other business owners. The bottom line is how they are
judged. If I own a business that is losing money, you bet your tail I’m making changes.
Delusion of Reality
I’m not one that complains about how much money professional athletes make and I won’t
start now. I also don’t buy the narrative that because of the money they make, they should
keep quiet. Keep in mind, many of them came from impoverished backgrounds so they have
seen both ends of the spectrum more so than most people.
However, given the fact that NFL players are guaranteed 47 percent of defined revenue and
that the average career span lasts four seasons, toeing the line for a few years is not too much
to ask.
As a delivery driver for a water company, I wear a uniform and have my company name on
the truck I drive. If I walk into your home or business wearing a political hat (never mind
of it’s Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton) or make any verbal statements, I guarantee that you
will look at me sideways and say, “What the hell, Vince. You came here to set up a cooler
and deliver products, not preach politics.”
Your decision to stand is yours
I saw the most nonsensical Facebook meme the other day that read “I’ll take a knee with
Colin Kaepernick before I stand with Donald Trump.” If that is not the most moronically
politicized statement, I don’t know what is. The American flag has absolutely nothing to do
with party line affiliation.
I was interviewed by my local newspaper before the Super Bowl. The paper was doing a
feature story rounding up reactions of fans who either had stopped watching football or
continued to watch amid the National Anthem protests.
My stance has been consistent. No political figure will ever convince me to stop watching
football. No professional athlete will ever convince me not to honor my country. No other
person will ever convince me to hate another person.
Though I have utmost respect for the United States military, my reason to stand actually has
little to do with them. My reason stems from being first generation American. I know much
of family took a big risk coming to the United States from Italy. I’d feel like I was spiting
them if I was not standing.
I stood for the National Anthem long before Kaepernick and Trump were at the forefront of
this issue and I will do so long after they fade into oblivion. Those two clowns deserve each
other but I digress.
I’m in favor of the new ruling on principle but the unintended consequence I can see now is
that the politicalization of the issue is only going to worsen.

No comments:

Post a Comment