Saturday, May 9, 2015

Time Out with Macklin Bickford (2015 St. Helena High senior)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Macklin Bickford: What I've enjoyed about competing in athletics the most is the competition. Being able to apply the abilities I have worked hard to perfect towards a competitive sport is one of the most rewarding feelings you can have. Standing toe-to-toe with an opponent who's worked just as hard as you is a type of challenge  everyone needs.
D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?
Bickford: After high school I will be attending Santa Barbara City College. To me, choosing a junior college wasn't just about saving money. Being able to develop a better idea of what I want to do for a career as well as having fantastic transfer possibilities are some of many reasons why I'm choosing the college I am.

D’Adamo: What might you choose as a major? What intrigues you about going that direction?
Bickford: Since I was young, my favorite subject has always been history. Ancient societies and cultures such as Greece and Mesopotamia have always fascinated me. A reason why I'm not going to a four year college straight out of high school is to find out the directions I can go with an ever expanding passion for history.

D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at St. Helena High?
Bickford: My favorite class has undoubtedly been Ms. Dunlop's AP Literature class. Learning how to write efficiently and organize my thoughts and insights into an essay has been incredibly helpful and is easily applicable in my life.
Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Bickford: The most influential member of my family has been my father. Being an exemplary role model my entire life, my father represented what a father should really be like. Even though he passed away when I was fourteen, I have yet to meet a better man than him. He is the reason why I never give up and continue to push myself physically and mentally.
Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet.
Bickford: If I could meet any historical figure I would choose John Lennon. Not only is he my favorite musician/artist, but he was one of the most influential musicians of the past century. Contributing to activism from his career in the Beatles until his death in 1980, John Lennon is a constant inspiration and role model for all the right reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment