Friday, May 15, 2015

Time Out with Mandy Huggins (1999 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Mandy Huggins: I think being a part of a team was what I always enjoyed most about competing in athletics. Knowing that you don't want to let anyone down and working together to win makes it that much more rewarding. The hard work is bonding and knowing your teammates are there working hard next to you is something I miss that you don't really get to experience in many other areas in life.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Huggins: After high school I lived in Arizona for six years, then moved to San Diego for six years. I moved back to Napa about three years ago and currently am the Sales Support Manager at Janson Capsules. I got married a year ago and had a baby boy a few weeks ago so that has kept me pretty busy.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?

Huggins: Probably Sports Literature, which combined my love of English and Sports. We got to read all sports themed books like the Natural and A River Runs through it.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?

Huggins: It's hard to pick only one. I am really proud to have never have lost to Vintage. Also, when I was a Junior we upset Will C. Wood at home when their team was really good and had three girls who were taller than me.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Huggins: I think I have grown a lot since high school but by participating in athletics from a young age, it has built a foundation of a hard work ethic that I have carried with me through adulthood. I think it has taught me how to mutli-task and work well with other to accomplish a common goal. I think being a student athlete really taught me how to find balance and to be disciplined to make sure I was organized to get everything done to the best of my ability.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Huggins: My parents definitely. My Dad has a passion and love for sports that was passed down to my brothers and I. Both of my parents always encouraged us and pushed us to be better or the best we could be.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Huggins: I am not really sure on that one. I have met a lot of professional athletes and they are just normal people who have a talent in a certain area and often can be disappointing when you meet them in person. I would like to have met Pat Tillman. Besides the fact that he was a Sun Devil and from the Bay Area (so we'd have that in common) he was a pro athlete living his dream and he gave it all up to follow what he believed in and that is so admirable and heroic.

No comments:

Post a Comment