Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Time Out with Michael Clark (1985 Justin-Siena High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Michael Clark: I had the good fortune of growing up in a house where athletics was a central theme. My enjoyment of sports started when I was very young being the ball boy for my father's basketball teams at Justin-Siena High School. I was always drawn to the competition, teamwork and camaraderie. That draw continued throughout my years playing basketball, baseball and football.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Clark: My wife, Holly (Justin-Siena '86), and I have the joy of raising our son, Dan, and daughter, Allison. Dan is currently a sophomore at Justin-Siena and Allison will start as a freshman next year. I am an Ergonomist and recently left UCSF for a position with Kaiser Permanente.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Clark: The easy answer would be my father's typing class. Truly, my favorite course was Honors English with Bob Morrish. The exposure to Dante, Shakespeare, Dostoevsky and the themes within remain a part of my life. Bob was ever the eccentric but was a powerful educator.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Clark: I will need to qualify with moment(s). Individually, playing quarterback my senior year and throwing three touchdown passes on Homecoming against Dixon. Collectively, I have the unique experience of being next to my father on the bench in 1974 when he guided Justin-Siena to the section basketball title, in 1983 being a member of the section champion football team, and watching my son win a section football championship in 2014. I am sure not many can say they have been involved with three high school section championships over three decades.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Clark: Life has an amazing ebb and flow. The biggest factor for my growth has been raising two wonderful kids and my athletic background instills a certain discipline, organization and "toughness" that permeates everything.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Clark: My brother John, is an incredible influence. I have personally learned a tremendous amount from him and continue to do so.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Clark: Plato. His thirst for knowledge and vision beyond the material would make for very interesting dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment