Friday, April 29, 2016

Cotruvo's departure from Justin gives reason for pause

Do you ever have those times where you get news you least expected? I got that news on Thursday night as I was sitting on my couch watching the NFL Draft. I get a text message from Marty James, who is the senior sports reporter for the Napa Valley Register. I worked with Marty for 14 years before I changed careers.


Marty informed me that Rich Cotruvo and Justin-Siena High School (Napa) will be “parting ways” after 19 years. So I get up at 4:30 a.m. on Friday morning before work to have my coffee and read my headlines. Sure enough, I see a story that Marty wrote on the Register’s website.


The 61-year old Cotruvo, however, is not getting out of coaching. Cotruvo has been hired as the new head coach at Terra Linda, which is a fellow Marin County Athletic League foe of the Braves.


Longtime assistant and 1998 Justin-Siena graduate Brandon LaRocco has been named Cotruvo’s replacement. More on that shortly in a separate blog entry.


Justin president and CEO Robert Jordan told the Register that he and Cotruvo had ongoing meetings for several weeks concerning the direction of the program. There was certainly nothing wrong with the direction on the field. In Cotruvo’s 19 seasons, the Braves went 144-74 with six CIF North Coast Section titles and were twice the runner-up.


The Register also reported that in a letter sent Wednesday to parents of Justin-Siena football players, Athletic Director George Nessman said, “Coach Cotruvo has discussed with the administration the many important programmatic transitions taking place, and all agree that the appropriate time for new leadership to emerge is now.”


Jordan told the Register “It is a private personnel matter that was professionally and mutually discussed between Coach Cotruvo and myself with respect and admiration for each other.”


“It’s a personal matter between Rich and myself, and I really want to leave it at that out of respect for Coach Cotruvo and for the school. I am proud of him. I am grateful for everything that he’s done.”
Jordan said he and Cotruvo “discussed a program change,” which they came to an agreement on.
“Thankfully, it’s been a mutual decision and we’ve handled it like gentlemen. I’m very honored to work with Coach Cotruvo,” said Jordan.
Cotruvo’s quote to the Register by all appearances is one who is taking the high road: “The program isn’t anything to me – the people are, and the kids,” he said. “I’ve been so honored and so blessed to have incredible families all through the years. I can’t remember the last time I had a parent complaint. I’ve been so supported here and blessed, that it’s just overwhelming.


“That’s what I’m most proud of, is that people understand that it’s more than just a game. It’s more about trying to move these gentlemen to a place where they can be counted on in society and be better citizens for themselves.”
In reading through the story, I can’t help but think the relationship was not amicable.


Granted, at the high school level, you don’t expect people in this situation to air their dirty laundry in public. Honestly, it’s nobody’s business and there is no benefit to such but we’re all human and can pose the question, which is essentially what I am doing. This is high school, not college or the pros. In a sense, you can say all parties involved were as honest as can be without being honest.


The fact that Cotruvo is going to Terra Linda is reason enough to wonder. I don’t mean that as a slight against Terra Linda but Cotruvo has been commuting from Walnut Creek to Napa since 1997. Going to Terra Linda means he is lengthening that commute.


I get that wins and losses are not everything. Did every player that suited up for the Braves like Cotruvo? Probably not but that’s true with every coach. However, ask most any player that was blessed to have Cotruvo as their coach and they would tell you he impacted their lives on and off the field.


Cotruvo’s role goes beyond his win-loss record at Justin. Sure, he was blessed with a brilliant coaching staff led by defensive coordinator Steve Vargus. However, all good head coaches know the value of having quality assistants.


To understand Cotruvo’s success, you have to understand the program he inherited. Let me tell you, it was a hot mess from 1987-1996. Dave Shipp resigned about a month before the start of the 1987 season. In that span, the Braves went 27-67. Yours truly graduated from Justin in 1991 and played for those teams. You have no idea what it was like going into every game where it felt like you had no shot at winning.

Cotruvo changed that mindset the moment he got there.

No comments:

Post a Comment