Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Should athletes express political/social views?

Sometimes you find a subject that hits a nerve. If you listen to talk radio, one will find you.

Though I am a former sports reporter, I keep my hand in writing via blogging and helping out my former employer on Friday Nights during high school football season after I get off work. I’m also still a sports fan. So much so that I listen daily to San Francisco sports talk radio station KGMZ-FM (95.7 The Game) daily on my route for Alhambra Water.

The show I listen to most often is Flight 957 hosted by Chad Doing, Joe Fortenbaugh and former NFL fullback Lorenzo Neal. The show is affectionately known as “Chad, Joe & Lo.”  Anna Kagarakis gives sports updates and occasionally chimes into the conversation. No offense, guys, but Anna is the best looking one on the show. Kagarakis? I thought my last name was cool but I can’t hold a torch to that one but I digress.

I was listening to the show Tuesday while on route in Concord, CA. The topic of conversation was “do you want your athletes speaking about political and/or social issues?” At first, I couldn’t figure out why they were broaching the subject but I managed to avoid driving my truck off the road. The crew explained shortly thereafter that the basis of the question came in lieu of New Orleans Saints defensive lineman Will Smith (not the actor) was shot to death. Saints head coach Sean Payton said words to the effect that while he is “right-leaning” he hates guns.

The crew took phone calls asking people, “Do you want your favorite athletes speaking out about social/political issues?” I have heard all of the arguments for and against the matter. I would have called to give my two cents but since I drive a commercial vehicle and had nearly 200 five-gallon bottles of water to deliver, I don’t have time to do that but I can use my blog for such.

My take on the matter is that I am pretty ambivalent as to whether or not my favorite athletes speak out on such issues. Either way, I accept whatever decision they make. Seriously do you care if Steph Curry, Buster Posey or Derek Carr is liberal, conservative, christian, atheist or whatever? If they help you win games, you don’t care one iota where they stand. At least you shouldn’t.

Without getting too high on a political soapbox, part of the problem is that the United States of America is closer to being the Divided States of America. I won’t go into extensive personal details but I am a registered Libertarian and if I were to give myself a label, I would call myself a “Conservative Libertarian.” At 43-years old, I’m comfortable enough in my own skin to say such.

The political acrimony in our society is so bad that on social media or even in person, people go to one of two extremes. They either engage to incite flamethrowers or they avoid the subject altogether. I’ve been guilty of the latter, not because I apologize for my beliefs and nor am I afraid of those who have dissenting views. I just don’t have the time or energy to deal with the drama that ensues. I know my beliefs, I don’t need others (for or against me) to remind me.

As for should athletes speak up regarding political and social issues, they’re going to do what they see fit. If a subject is dear to their heart, they should be able to speak out but they need to understand certain things before doing so. I think it’s a shame that Tim Tebow has been ostracized for his Christian beliefs. Yes, the guy makes no bones of his beliefs but I don’t remember him lambasting any atheists either.

For those fortunate enough to land endorsements, your beliefs either a) Need to be in line with what the brand endorses or b) If it doesn’t, that’s fine, but keep your beliefs under wraps. I’m not suggesting it is right but if you express dissenting views, don’t be shocked if they drop you. Just offer a “no comment” and if they drop you later, that is on them.

Endorsements or not, the main thing I ask if an athlete/celebrity decides to speak out is, don’t belittle anyone with a dissenting view. Of course, the problem they face is that the media (traditional and social) will hear just an excerpt and pontificate in which case you are better off not saying anything at all.

However, if an athlete/celebrity is willing to deal with the slings and arrows that follow, speak away. All I ask is, don’t speak out now and cry about backlash later.

No comments:

Post a Comment