Saturday, April 2, 2016

Time Out with Katelyn Butcher (2015 Calistiga High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Katelyn Butcher: What I have enjoyed about competing in athletics is the people I am surrounded by, including both players and coaches. I have also been playing on most of the same teams as my younger sister, and have been coached by my mother. I believe it has brought us all much closer. Playing sports has also opened doors for me by giving me opportunities I would have never been able to take advantage of, such as softball and volleyball camps and clinics at big and small colleges.
D’Adamo: Now that you have had a taste of being outside of Calistoga, how much do you believe the experience has changed your life?
Butcher: Leaving the small town life has really opened my eyes to how lucky I was to grow up in a place like Calistoga. Living on your own in a big city is pretty scary if you don't know what you’re getting into. Staying in a small place I believe makes you a more conscious person about your surroundings and your own behavior. Being involved in a community like Calistoga has given me and many others the chance to gain experience that youth living in the city would typically not be able be involved with. I also have learned that I like small towns and hope to move to one soon.
D’Adamo: What is your major and where do you plan to go after Ohlone College?
Butcher: My major is business and that will soon change, to what I don't quite know. After I finish this semester at Ohlone, I will be packing up to go to Maui, Hawaii to finish school. I do not plan on playing sports for the school directly, but I do hope to be on both a club softball and volleyball team.
D’Adamo: What has the athletics/academics balance been like in college versus high school?
Butcher: In college sports and athletics are very intertwined. Although my official volleyball season is over, we have practice every other day, and study hall once a week, sometimes more. A decent GPA is required to be on the team, and even a higher GPA to play in competitions. After double practices, and coaching the team is still expected to spend extra time studying and put hours in at the tutoring center.
D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Butcher: The most influential person in my family has been my mother. She is always there to not only teach me, but cheer me on. She has taught me not only how to play the game, but how to strive and be a good person with good morals when doing it. It was always hard having my mom as a coach, but she always pushed my to and passed my limits because she knew I could handle it.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?
Butcher: If I could meet any person I think it would be Jenny Finch, softball pitcher for the USA Olympic gold team. I would love to meet someone with so much drive and passion for a sport. I have had experience with pitching and it ain't easy! I could listen to her talk for hours about her path to get to where she is as a talented, successful mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment