Sunday, May 22, 2016

American Canyon, I hardly knew you

Do you ever have those moments in your career that you did what was within your control to succeed but the end of that time was an unfair ending thanks to the powers that be?


I view my one and a half years in American Canyon, CA, in that regard. I was the Upvalley (St. Helena and Calistoga) sports beat reporter for two stints (2004-2010; 2012-2014). I spent the in between time in American Canyon, which is located in the Southern part of Napa Valley.


American Canyon was incorporated as a city in 1992. The population skyrocketed to the point of being about 19,000 and change. Measure G passed in 2006 to have a high school built, which opened its doors in August 2010.


The Napa Valley Register, which is a daily newspaper in Napa, CA, purchased the St. Helena Star and Weekly Calistogan in 2003 and the American Canyon Eagle in 2005. All three newspapers are weekly editions. Since American Canyon was closer to my home in Napa, I was eager to get that beat. I gently reminded NVR publisher Brenda Speth, NVR editor Bill Kisliuk, NVR sports editor Randy Johnson and AC Eagle editor Mike Waterson of my desires to cover that sports beat. Kisliuk resigned in August 2010 with Michael Donnelly replacing him. I would soon discover what an arrogant boob Donnelly was. Donnelly knows the Xs and Os of journalism but his people skills are about as good as my astronomy skills -- none.


In April 2010, it became official that I would take the American Canyon beat and fellow NVR sports reporter Ted Sillanpaa would replace me Upvalley. The change was slated to be made in August of that year. For whatever reason, no more than a few days shy of the move going into effect, Sillanpaa decided he did not want the job. I remained Upvalley for six more weeks but also worked in coverage of American Canyon football. In late September, Jessica Lander (from Boston by way of Orlando) took my place and I went to American Canyon for good -- or so I thought.


I spent one and a half years on the American Canyon sports beat, making strong inroads with coaches, student-athletes, administrators and community members. The school started with just grades 9-10 in 2010-2011 and would add the junior class one year later before getting all four grades in 2012-2013.


I was ecstatic about the chance to cover the beat with all four grades. In late March 2012, the staff gets an e-mail that Lander is leaving the newspaper to take another job. I then get an e-mail from Johnson to meet with him after deadline from getting the weekly publications produced. I thought nothing of it because it was going to inform of “Lander is leaving, going from here to replace her, etc.”


Instead, Johnson informs me via Donnelly that the company is not replacing Lander, I am going back Upvalley and American Canyon is going to be covered by committee. At this point, I am in a state of disbelief, shock and anger. The biggest thing I wanted as a sports journalist was being ripped away from me. I covered the NFL as a freelance writer for six years. I became a CNPA (California Newspaper Publishing Association) award winning journalist. However, nothing meant more to me than building up the American Canyon sports beat. It was like being a pioneer. I relished that role.


So a few days later, I meet with Donnelly. His justification for why the move was made were two-fold. The Upvalley publications, most notably the Star, produce more advertising revenue that the Eagle. Well of course they do, those papers have been around for 100 years and change. The Eagle has existed just slightly over a decade, building revenue takes time. Sports coverage is one way to build it because there is a very large segment of the population that only reads the sports section.


Donnelly asked me how I felt about the move. I was honest but respectful about my displeasure with the move but for every point I made, he followed with a counterpoint and his tone of voice was that of a nitwit (to put it charitably). The meeting was pointless, just like his tenure at NVR. After about 15 minutes, Donnelly has the temerity to say to the effect of, “Vince, if you ever have problems, don’t internalize it.” Well, I was honest but he didn’t like what I said. Earth to Michael: If you ask me to be honest, don’t complain when I’m honest. When he left NVR in 2013, I didn’t waste time saying goodbye. I would have helped him move, just to get his arrogant ass out of town.


It’s not that going back Upvalley was so bad. That is where I am most attached because my longest history as a reporter is there. My bitterness stemmed from the idea of not getting to finish what I started in American Canyon. I don’t want to use the word “entitled” because it has a negative connotation. However, I felt that between working to rebuild the Upvalley sports beat and spending more time there after Sillanpaa decided he did not want the job, I had earned the right to stay in American Canyon as long as I would have liked. I know that I impacted that community in a positive manner. It just wasn’t the lasting impact I was seeking.


I made peace with the decision the powers that be made and when I went back Upvalley, I set my sights on giving sports coverage there the “D’Adamo Religion.”


The silver lining to this experience was that it made me think about some hard decisions, especially given the declining state of the newspaper industry.


I got my Class B driver's’ license and worked part-time as a bus driver. Two and a half years later, I escaped the newspaper industry on my own terms to become a route sales representative for Alhambra Water.

I have, however, kept writing in my life as a hobby through this blog. In addition, I help NVR on Friday nights during football season. They mostly have me covering American Canyon. While it is not the same as being their full-time sports beat reporter, it is a way for me to stay connected to the community on some level.

2 comments:

  1. Vince, you are being "kind" by calling Donnelly an "arrogant boob"...he is an Arrogant ASS! Never worked with anyone in my 25 years of management that was a bigger barrier to conducting business from the sales side of the operation. It's just ONE of the reasons the newspaper has become irrelevant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct about me being kind about Michael. I agree though, he is an ass of the first dimension. You have no idea how many times I wanted to leg-whip him as he walked by my desk.

    ReplyDelete