Friday, May 6, 2016

Can you imagine these events in the social media era?

Many people can probably remember the world when life was much different — and in many ways, simpler.
For example, remember the days you would have to program your VCR instead of your DVR? Remember the days when restaurants had smoking and non-smoking sections? Remember the days when gas stations had attendants pump gas for customers? I could probably come up with a zillion analogies.
The newspaper industry changed in ways I never imagined, which is a big reason I am no longer there. However, I haven’t died as a writer thanks to this blog.
When I began my first foray in the industry in 1995, some newspapers were online, but the trend was not en vogue like it is now. Though many older folks will always prefer the physical copy of the newspaper, I don’t have a problem reading one online.
In fact, I can actually see some value in it, both as a professional and a consumer.
For the former, let’s say it’s football season and St. Helena is playing Kelseyville and Calistoga is playing Upper Lake. I like how I can go on to the Lake County Record Bee website, read the previous week’s game report and feel pretty well informed. It certainly saves time from calling newspapers or those coaches.
And when the Saints and Wildcats do play those teams, it is interesting to get the Lake County perspective.
As a consumer, I can remember going to college out of state in Nebraska. I liked how I could read the Bay Area newspapers online and get the 49ers, Giants, Raiders and Warriors stories just as if I were back home. Since I moved back to California, if it weren’t for Nebraska newspapers being online, I couldn’t follow Husker football like I can now.
Though I know it’s probably here to stay, I’m not a fan of how social media has become overly involved in journalism. I am on Facebook for personal reasons, to keep in touch with people I seldom see. I am on Twitter as well, but only for professional reasons and to share links from this blog. Though social media can be useful, I see more minuses than pluses as far as mixing it with traditional journalism.
Call me a 43-year-old curmudgeon but far too many half-cocked and unsubstantiated rumors keep floating around on social media.    
So recently, I did a little brainstorming and asked, what sports events or controversies make me think, “I can only imagine if it happened during the social media or Internet message board era.”
A few that come to mind are:
• The Joe Montana/Steve Young saga.
• Game 6 call of the 1985 World Series (Cardinals/Royals).
• Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan.
• Buddy Ryan takes a swing at Kevin Gilbride.
• Chris Webber’s time out.
• Magic Johnson goes public with being HIV positive.
• Bill Buckner’s error in the 1986 World Series.
• Pete Rose and gambling.
• Black Sox scandal.
• 1980 USA hockey.
• Hank Aaron breaks Babe Ruth’s home run record.
• 1970s to early 1980s Oakland Raiders frequenting bars, clubs, strip joints, and all-nighters in New Orleans on Super Bowl eve.
• Tom Osborne going for two in the 1984 National Championship.
• Mike Tyson biting Evander Holyfield’s ear.
• O.J. Simpson trial.
• Joe Montana being stopped in his Ferrari for “allegedly” being in possession.
• Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini vs. Duk Koo Kim championship fight.
• George Foreman vs. Joe Frazier — “Down goes Frazier.”
• Larry Bird’s steal of Isaiah Thomas’ in-bounds pass.
• Jimmy “The Greek” gets fired by CBS.
• Al Campanis’ racist remarks on Nightline.
• Joe Namath guarantees Jets’ Super Bowl win.
• Chicago Bears Super Bowl Shuffle.
• Any random tirade by Earl Weaver, Billy Martin or Tommy Lasorda.
• Dave Casper scores on the infamous “Holy Roller.” Throw in the Immaculate Reception while you’re at it.
• Woody Hayes’ punch.

• Any random Bobby Knight tirade or chair throwing incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment