Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Time Out with Erika Hallmark (2015 American Canyon High graduate)

This is a special edition Time Out interview with 2015 American Canyon High graduate Erika Hallmark, who enters her sophomore year at Methodist University (Fayetteville, NC) this fall. Hallmark is a business administration major with a concentration in PGA Professional Golf Management. She is considering minoring in Resort Management or Speech Communications. Hallmark was sidelined for golf season because of a lateral collateral ligament sprain. However, she attended a few team practices and worked the Monarch Invitational Tournament in early April. Hallmark is home for the summer and interning at Silverado Resort as part of the PGA Management program she is in at Methodist University.

D’Adamo: What are you most hoping to get out of your internship at Silverado Country Club this summer?

Hallmark: Ultimately, I hope to gain as much experience as I can this summer during my internship (especially in the tournament operations department).  Also, I would like to enhance my networking skills.

D’Adamo: When did you first discover the internship and how did the process unfold as far as getting it?

Hallmark: I knew initially that the Professional Golf Management program required internships every summer, so my thought was to come back to the Napa Valley so I can be around my family and the course that I immediately thought of was Silverado Resort & Spa. So I sent an email and asked about a possible internship around November 2015. After a few phone interviews in December, I had an in person interview and ended up getting the internship.

D’Adamo: What has the class/practice/matches balance been like as a college student/athlete?

Hallmark: As a college student and athlete, time management is probably the most important thing. I'm used to keeping schedules so it wasn't too difficult to manage. Although everything was very stressful. From being a part of the Student Activities Committee, Professional Golf Management Fellowship (In His Grip), Fellowship for Christian Athletes, the Women's Golf team and the Methodist University Chorale in addition to 17.5 credit hours (7 classes or so) a semester, it got pretty intense. However, I managed my time wisely and ended up receiving a scholar athlete award for having a career GPA over 3.0.

D’Adamo: Having experienced a year away from American Canyon, how much do you believe you have grown personally?

Hallmark: Personally, the experience of being away from American Canyon has made me appreciate all that I have here and the opportunities I have had. I personally feel as if I have grown quite a bit especially because I was so far away and by myself. It was an opportunity for me to get to find who I am and to make decisions for myself.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Hallmark: Within my family, I would say that my parents have been the most influential right beside my best friends. They always want what is best for me and I greatly appreciate everything they have done for me. If it wasn't for them I definitely would not be where I am today.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Hallmark: I would want to meet Babe Didrikson Zaharias (Mildred Ella Didrikson Zaharias). I intrigues me how she was one of the founding members of the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA). I would want to ask her what her motivation was to start golfing after her phenomenal careers in track and field and basketball. What pushed her to go back to her amatuer status? What was her drive to continue?

1 comment:

  1. Erika I am so very proud of you! Auntie loves you baby girl!

    ReplyDelete