Monday, August 29, 2016

Kaep has first amendment rights but chose the wrong path

On the field, San Francisco 49ers’ quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s elevator has gone from good to bad without even stopping at mediocre.


His fall from grace is not limited to there either. Unless you have been living in an igloo, Kaepernick made headlines for his refusal to stand during the National Anthem before the 49ers exhibition game against the Green Bay Packers. Kaepernick later explained his reason.


"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."


Suffice it to say everything from traditional to social media has weighed in on the matter with views all over the map. Here’s where I stand:


For openers, though I do not like certain things about the United States of America, I will always stand with my hand over my heart during the National Anthem. Most will say you should honor the flag for the veterans that fought wars for the right of the first amendment, which is freedom of speech. While I have nothing but respect and admiration for soldiers and veterans, I think that argument is disingenuous. People use veterans and military to make their argument when convenient, then society tosses them aside as soon as they come back on American soil. How well is PTSD getting treated? How well are our veterans getting treated? Answer to both, not very well. Remember that next time you get on your honor the flag for veterans soapbox.


My reason for honoring the flag is because as a first generation American, my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles took a big risk to leave their home country of Italy to come to the USA which translated to make a better life for themselves, my brother, my sisters and cousins. They took that risk with no guarantee it would work but I remain eternally grateful they took that risk. If I didn’t honor the flag, I would feel like I was disrespecting them.
      
Freedom of speech is also a slippery slope. By definition, you have the right to say or do anything you want but you are not protected from the potential ramifications. As a white male, I can walk into any black neighborhood screaming racial slurs (including a word that rhymes with trigger). There is nothing in the US Constitution that says I can’t. However, just because I can do something, doesn’t mean I should. If I did that, it would not end well. Like, I would get my head put on a platter.


Kaepernick, or anyone, may not be required to stand during the National Anthem but that does not mean he should take that course of action. I am all for Kaepernick exercising his right to be an activist but he took the worst possible route of transportation to make his point. Seriously, what has he done to make a difference for the oppressed black people/people of color he makes reference toward? If he really wanted to make a difference, go on CNN, ESPN or any random TV or radio station and ask them to give you say 10 minutes to discuss the matter. They would have done it in a hot second. Another way he can make a difference is lecturing on college campuses or going to these oppressed neighborhoods.


Sitting during the National Anthem, retweeting, instagramming, and liking on Facebook accomplish absolutely nothing. Then there is the issue of should athletes and/or other forms of celebrities express views on politics, religion, and social issues? I don’t think they have an obligation to do so but if they feel passionate, they have every right to do so but understand that doing so will come with blowback and attaboys. You’d better be willing to deal with both, not just the latter.


Politics, religion and social issues are lightning rod subjects. Taking a “read the room” approach before going deep in these issues is the way to go. I have encountered many people that consider themselves passionate but at some point I shut them down by saying, “you may find someone that is willing to listen or engage with you but you are just as likely to find someone that does not want to listen to your soapbox. If that happens, you’d better take a hint.”

As for how this ties into Kaepernick’s future. The 49ers tried to trade him but found no takers and his contract is such that it will be costly to cut him. However, Kaepernick is no longer better than his problems. Teams can deal with a player being a distraction if he is making an impact but Kaepernick is no longer that player.

No comments:

Post a Comment