Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Time Out with Kenneth Jones: 2014 American Canyon

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Kenneth Jones: As a kid, I would have to say that winning was definitely the aspect I enjoyed the most about athletics. The points and the numbers were all such a huge deal and I only wanted to be the best kid out there, just like Allen Iverson. In high school, I still loved to be successful and do well, however, I started to realize how great of a networking tool athletics can be. I’ve met people from everywhere and some friends for life either on my team or rival teams, which has been the greatest part. Growing up you don’t really realize what’s going when you’re out there meeting other kids and students making connections that could potentially last the rest of your life. Sports have given me some of my best friends and have helped to push me to perform the best I can at whatever I am participating in. Winning still feels amazing though, until this day.

D’Adamo: What have you been up to since graduating from high school?

Jones: Since graduating I decided to attend UC San Diego and have been running on the Track & Field team ever since. Also, I have been recently named as one of the captains for the team. While at school I have been in a number of extra-curricular activities with multiple leadership roles including the Pre-Dental Society, Flying Samaritans organization, Black Student Union, Triton Athletic Council, Student Government, and other roles within athletics. Academically, I am a Human Biology major while following the pre-dental track and I fall more in love with each and every class I take. I have been working on a project. It is Wolfpack Alumni Association (WPAA), which has been in the works now for about two years. It should be in full effect over the next couple of years as it is primed for the Class of 2013 and 2014 to have made it the full four and five years after leaving the high school. I
would definitely stay tuned for this.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class here at American Canyon High?

Jones: This is a tough question, I don’t want teachers coming after me for answering this one. I would have to say….. that my favorite class at the high school would have to be Mr. Olson’s Government and Economics class, it just taught me so many life lessons and Mr. Olson has definitely served as a mentor during my college decision and post high school. I literally learned how to be a citizen in America and found out I can’t be President out of high school like many said I would try. I don’t think I can go and fail to say anything about band class because music has been passions of mine all of my life. I had too many great experiences in that class with all of my teachers, classmates, and the music it’s all still unforgettable.

D’Adamo: What was it like being part of history at American Canyon High as the school opened?

Jones: Being a part of American Canyon High as the inaugural class to graduate for the first full four years was amazing. Starting so many traditions and still seeing those traditions carried over the years will be the real treat. It was a give and take process being the true “guinea pigs“ for the school and the staff, but I wouldn’t have traded it for the world. It allowed me to have the public speaking and leading abilities, which have helped throttle me into the leadership roles at the University level.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since high school and how much of that growth do you trace to athletics?

Jones: I’ve grown immensely as a contributing member of society, as a member of my family, and as a friend to my loved ones. I’ve matured a lot on my decision making, despite me seeming to be flawless in high school, which is something that I’m extremely grateful for. I trace back all of this growth back to God, he’s provided me the abilities and attributes to thrive against adversity. He has put me in places with my back against the wall whether that’s the sports world or life as a normal person and has been there with me every step of the way. I’ve always felt that people have respected what I’ve had to say, and I think that wisdom and maturity comes from traveling and networking through athletics. I highly recommend parents to allow their children to do any sports, it can be humbling and develops a lot of discipline and maturity, that can throttle your child into adulthood.

D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?

Jones: I would have to say everyone in my immediate family has been such a big influence on my life, whether it’s an extra-curricular, athletics, or academics; they always have what’s best for me in mind. My mother, father, and sister all contribute something different, however each balancing each other out playing to the strengths and weaknesses of each other. Despite them being my biggest influences they remind me to keep my ears open to the world and use everything I do as a lesson from which I can learn.

To be humbled by the world and learn with an open heart and mind for all things I pursue. My family, my other cousins, brothers and sisters, and aunts and uncles, have been behind me one hundred percent of the way keeping my morale high and mind in the right place to be as successful as I can be. I owe all of these people the world and they will never be forgotten as I transition into adulthood and begin my own family and life apart from them.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet.

Jones: OK, this person is going to sound really really really clichĂ©, and you would think that I would pick anyone else, but it’s okay I think he’s fitting for the times we are in now. I would really really like to meet Martin Luther King Jr. Yes, I know this is a typical answer, however the movement he lead, is something I want for our world today. I know it’ll never be perfect, but it seems no one person can step up in our society today and stand up and push for equality amongst us all. Not to say this person isn’t out there now, however one strong
person can be the catalyst through this journey and allow for supporters to have a positive model to follow and advocate for.

In life you tend to want to meet a lot of people, two people I really look up to are J.Cole, the Dreamville artist, and Barack Obama. Lyrically I’ve looked up to J.Cole for a very long time as he has be the light for me in a lot of dark times. Listening to his music or interviews were so relatable to me and I think he has some of the most influential lyrics and an amazing awareness of what’s important in his life and how it has helped him and how it could help his listeners. Obama… well he speaks for himself. Doesn’t everyone want to meet the President someday?

No comments:

Post a Comment