Friday, August 4, 2017

Time Out with Erin McKee -- 1999 Vintage High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?


Erin McKee: Being a part of a team and navigating the ups and downs of competitive sports together, coping with losing and celebrating winning. Having a support system.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


McKee: Interestingly enough, I haven't pitched since high school. I went to UCSC. Since sports, particularly softball, was a huge piece of who I was growing up, college was about finding my identity separate from sports. I have worked in the wine industry in Napa since 2003 but still love sports. I am a huge Giants fan.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?


McKee: Harris Nussbaum, Psychology teacher, has always been such a good soul. I think about him often when trying to offer a gentle approach to leading by example in my professional life.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?


McKee: My most memorable moment was after our last game at Vintage. I sat across from my catcher Bryna McCulley, on the mound, she on the plate and realized this was our last time playing on that field. Seems like a lifetime ago.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


McKee: I've grown tremendously since high school. Being a part of organized sports helped keep me grounded during a time when that's really tough, high school. Team organization, working as a team, is easily applied to my role in my job today.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

McKee: My entire family. My father, Gary McKee. He was my pitching coach. He taught me everything and I owe my coordination to his genetics! My mom,Teresa McKee is equally influential. Now that I'm married and have my own child, I understand the importance of a supportive spouse and mother. My mom was at every game, often keeping score. She was the backbone. My sister, Andrea (McKee) Reder was also a pitcher and I always looked up to her as my big sister and she was an incredibly talented pitcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment