Thursday, August 10, 2017

Time Out with Kate Shipp-Roberts -- St. Helena High girls basketball head coach

Editor’s note: A different version of this story was originally published in the St. Helena Star.
Garrett Whitt: What did you learn in your first year of coaching here at St. Helena High School?
Shipp-Roberts: I think one of the biggest things I learned was that the kids want to be taught. The kids want access. They want to become better, and I want to be someone who can help them do those things regardless of if it’s on the basketball court or academics, or getting a job.
Whitt: There is a famous coach that I used to know, probably the most successful coach in college basketball history, who said I rather they call me a teacher than a coach. Do you subscribe to that theory? What is the biggest lesson that you want your kids to learn from you specifically on the basketball floor?
Shipp-Roberts: I think teacher/coach should go hand and hand., if not there’s a disconnect. I’ve always said that coaches are teachers, just occasionally we blow a whistle and might speak in a louder octave (laughing) than a traditional teacher. But I definitely want them to know that it takes hard work to get to where you want to go. Regardless if that’s to be the best basketball player, to get into a four-year college, to get a job. You have to start from the ground and work your way up. Otherwise, the reward won’t be there, and you won’t have the tools necessary to get to where you want to go as far as progression.
Whitt: Richard Hoppe (the Saints’ quarterback coach) and you are in the same position, being children of people that have coached themselves. Does that give you an advantage you take that experience into your coaching environment?
Shipp-Roberts: I think that brings a lot of positives to the game. Both my parents were coaches. My dad was a football coach. My mom was a swim coach.
Whitt: And your dad is going to coach at Justin this year, right?
Shipp-Roberts: My dad’s coaching at Justin. Let’s not remind (Saints’ athletics director) Tom Hoppe. He gets a little upset (laughing). II think seeing the relationship they both built with their student-athletes, and then coming back today and my dad and my mom both being able to coach the children of the people they coached or see them around town. It’s just something that you can never take away. Regardless of wins or losses at the end of the day I hope they remember me for something that I taught them and not necessarily the game we won.


Whitt: What is the biggest lesson you want a kid who you either teach in the classroom or teach on the basketball floor to take away from their experience with you as their coach or teacher?
Shipp-Roberts: I think not to be afraid of a challenge. So much of our society is built upon ’Oh if I can’t do it, I’m not going to try.’ So, I think you have to be OK with failing and knowing that there is success on the other side of that wall or other side of that door. It’s going to take some time I think before we reach that other side. But that’s OK. It’s about the process and the journey.
Whitt: You mentioned that your husband is going to be coaching too at the school this year. Was there any feeling about it? Or did you guys talk about it?  Or did he just come to you and say, Honey, (new Saints’ Head JV football coach) Ian (MacMillan) called me and said he needs somebody to help him with football?
Shipp-Roberts: Actually, what a lot of people don’t know is that Chris and I coached swimming together my first year at American Canyon. It was actually my mom, myself, and now my husband, and we all coached swimming together and it was the most fun time I ever had. I know he’s excited to get working back with Ian again because they coached together at American Canyon. Ian is one of his best friends. Another thing a lot of people don’t know about my husband is he originally went to school to be a teacher. H loves teaching and loves to be with kids no matter what arena it’s in. I’m just happy for him. I’m glad he’s out their coaching. It’s a family affair, the Shipp-Roberts.
Whitt: What do you think is going to be the biggest adjustment from moving up one level and having to change things around? And Coach (Darol) Smith is going to do the JV as I understand it?
Shipp-Roberts: I’m excited to have Coach Smith still stay with me through this. He was my JV coach at Napa High and just brings a wealth of knowledge. The kids absolutely adore him. I’m excited that St. Helena gets to experience and know him as well. I think the biggest challenge and change is getting the community to buy in (to the program), and see all the hard work that these kids are doing and all the hours that they are spending in the gym. We have some great kids in this program. I want to attract more great kids. I think again, everyone wants to see wins and losses, but you got to have work first. I think that’s not the most attractive thing in the world. But when it comes down to it you got to work for what you want.
Whitt: What you think is going to be the biggest challenge to take that next step and get people committed and to fully buy into the program?
Shipp-Roberts: I’m a firm believer in actions speak louder than words and we have a great group of 11, 12 girls that we had this summer, and I think other kids seeing what this group is doing and all the hard work they’re doing. It will naturally want to attract more kids. But again, that’s not without action. So that’s going to be the hard part is attracting and seeing these kids in action and seeing the work that they put in and it just be addictive.
Whitt: What’s an advantage, you are married and are at that place in your life what advantage if any can you bring to your coaching environment and your coaching style that you couldn’t before when you were single?
Shipp-Roberts: I think I’m a lot more calm now. Everyone would say baloney (smiling). But I’m going to say I’m more calm. I think I appreciate my time with my family and my husband a lot more, whereas when I was younger it was, OK let’s rack up the hours in the gym. And while being in the gym is important, I understand there is a separation, and it’s necessary. And I love that these kids want to be in the gym and want to get extra shots. I think, for everyone’s sake, there is a necessary separation; not only physically, but mentally too because you don’t want these kids to be drained come November like that’s just the peak of when we get started.
Whitt: And on the flip side, does it give you an added appreciation that you didn’t have before when you were single?

Shipp-Roberts: I get to share the game I love with my husband, and he supports me 110 percent in this crazy rollercoaster ride called basketball (laughing) and it’s something that—and especially with him coaching now—it’s something we can share together. It’s not just a one-sided thing like I’m excited to go and watch him coach again and support him and see the relationship he’s going to build with these kids and some of my students.   

No comments:

Post a Comment