Sunday, August 6, 2017

Time Out with Melissa Shimer -- American Canyon High athletic director

Vince D’Adamo: Be it as an administrator or coach, what have you enjoyed most about being involved in athletics?

Melissa Shimer: I have enjoyed many aspects of athletics. Specifically as an athlete participating in youth, high school and college athletics and then continuing on as a coach. Athletics has been a huge part of my life since I was young and has shaped who I have become today. I am thankful for the experiences that I had as an athlete and I appreciate the role that athletics has in a young person’s life. Being an athlete has been very rewarding but I have seen the most rewarding experiences come from coaching. I am thankful for having the experiences as a coach and realize how much impact I can have on a young person’s life in this position. I was blessed to have very positive experiences as an athlete thanks to awesome coaches, and I hope to help athletes to have similar experiences in my athletic program.

D’Adamo: It is often said that athletics and academics coexist, how much have you found that to be true?

Shimer: At the high school level, athletics and academics definitely coexist. I think it is extremely important for our young athletes to understand the importance of their education and that athletics can play a large impact on their success if their perspectives are focused correctly. There is a reason why the phrase “student-athlete” lists the “student” first - academics is definitely the priority, but that does not mean that athletics can’t be “runner up” in the eyes of students. I knew how important academics was throughout high school and college, but that didn’t mean that I couldn’t also put a focus on athletics. It is important for parents, teachers, coaches and athletic directors to make sure the focus of academics is at the top of the priority list while also teaching our students-athletes that athletics can play a great role as well and hopefully keep them focused in their academics.

D’Adamo: Beyond victories and defeats, when bringing in a coach, what are common denominator qualities you seek?

Shimer: When I am searching for a coach to bring on to my staff, there are many qualities I am looking for. I am looking for an individual who is knowledgeable and skilled in the specific sport, someone who has a vested interest in the needs of the student-athlete, someone who is competitive, passionate and dedicated to our goals and purpose and someone who understands what it means to “pursue victory with honor.” Winning is something that we hope to achieve but our main purpose is to help shape our student-athletes to be better people, and I look for coaches who embrace these philosophies.

D’Adamo: From the student-athlete perspective, what life lessons do you hope they learn from sports?

Shimer: Some of the best and worst memories/lessons/experiences that I have learned in my life are from sports. That said, they have all had a huge impact in my life and on who I am today. Sport participation has helped me to learn responsibility, respect, how to compete, teamwork, dedication/commitment, and the importance of hard work. Sports have taught me that success doesn’t come without hard work... and that failure is part of the process. I hope that my athletes will be able to learn many of the lessons that I was able to but most importantly how to become better people and help prepare them for their futures.

D’Adamo: As you venture into your new position and Jill Stewart becomes NVUSD athletic director, what have you learned most from Jill?

Shimer: I have known Jill since May of 2012 and have learned many great things from her in these past 5 years. But one of the most important things that I have learned from her is the role and impact that athletics can have on a student-athletes’ life and how we as coaches can’t take that for granted. Jill has shown me the importance of self-reflection, honesty and personal growth and how crucial these factors are in becoming a better coach. Coaches ask their athletes every day to practice and improve to be better than they were the day before, and Jill was constantly reminding me to do the same as a coach.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Shimer: My parents have been extremely supportive of my athletic participation. attending almost every game from 3rd grade to my senior year of college. I could not have been successful if it wasn't for them and their support. My twin sister, Jessica and younger sister Krista have also been extremely influential in my athletic life. I had the pleasure of competing with both of them through high school and college, with Jessica and I playing/competing together all the way to senior year at University of the Pacific playing water polo. It was great having sisters who played the same sports because we could support each other and push each other to be better. I definitely would not have been as successful as I was if it weren't for my sisters pushing me, supporting me and drowning me every day all while helping me to be better.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?

Shimer: It would probably be a tie between Vince Lombardi and Pat Summit because of their phenomenal ability to make a positive impact in their athletes lives. I appreciate what both have done for the coaching world and how they have been such great role models for coaches all over. Their sport and coaching philosophies are what every coach out there should model and prioritize.

My favorite quote is one from Vince Lombardi:

“The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment