Saturday, October 28, 2017

Time Out with Lindsay Martin -- 2018 St. Helena High senior

Vince D’Adamo: What have you enjoyed most about competing in athletics throughout your life?
Lindsay Martin: Competing in athletics over the years has helped me in developing myself as an athlete and as an individual. It has taught me how to show leadership, how to have a passion, and how to work hard. Another aspect of the game that I have loved throughout the years is all the connections I have made. Whether it is playing on the school team and getting to meet girls in the grades above or below me, or playing club and being able to expand and meet new people outside of SHHS. During games and practices I enjoy the adrenaline and the teamwork, as well as being able to test my abilities and strive to improve my skills.
D’Adamo: What are your plans after high school?
Martin: After high school I plan on attending a four year university, preferably in California, and will be majoring in graphic design and minoring in photography. I am intrigued about going in this direction because I have always enjoyed drawing and have recently picked up photography, so I would like to be able to improve my skills on subjects I love and go into a field of work where I can use those skills.
D’Adamo: What has been your favorite class here at St. Helena High?
Martin: My favorite class that I have taken at St. Helena High would be Anatomy and Physiology. In this class we learned about the human body and it’s functions as well as doing a year long dissection of cats where we learned about their components. Not only is the class very interesting but it is taught by one of my favorite teachers Mr. O’Connor who manages to always keep the class interesting.
D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Martin: Within my family the most influential person would be my older brother Dylan. Ever since I was a little girl I have always wanted to keep up with him, and looked up to him. He always motivates me to try new things and be more courageous. Without him there convincing me to expand my horizons there's a possibility that I would not be playing volleyball today. Over the years Dylan has taught me to be tough and independent. I remember my freshman year of high school it came around the time of homecoming and there was discussion of the annual powderpuff game and Dylan asked me if I was going to play and I told him I wasn’t but he convinced me to change my mind and sign up. Now here I am as a senior ready to play my fourth and final powder puff game. Watching my brother strive in three sports motivated me to keep working hard in Volleyball. Throughout the years I don’t think Dylan even realized how much I look up to him but he has definitely had an influence on shaping me into who I am today.
D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports, that you would most like to meet. What would intrigue you about meeting him or her?
Martin: There are so many historical figures that I would love the chance to get to meet but Kerri Walsh-Jennings would be at the top of my list, with a very impressive background in indoor and outdoor volleyball she is a legend. I would love to pick her brain about volleyball and probably could all day long. Hearing about her career from her perspective would be amazing. A 3 time gold medalist and a one-time bronze medalist, who’s has endured five shoulder surgeries and has managed to start a family through all of this must have some amazing stories to tell on how she managed her career, and kept her motivation, drive and passion for the game. She is a crazy tough and an incredible athlete who is an amazing role model to many athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment