Thursday, March 22, 2018

Time Out with Kelli Connolly Larose -- 1992 Justin-Siena High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics
throughout your life?


Kelli Connolly Larose: I have loved sports, both as a fan and a player, since I was
very young. I am a competitive person by nature, so athletics allowed me to use
that quality in a productive way. Being on the field helped me to mentally enter a
zone that provided a unique sense of calm and contentment. I enjoy being part of
a team, striving to be a leader by example and contribute to something greater than
myself. The exhilarating and euphoric adrenaline rush from a big victory is the best
feeling I have ever experienced.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


Larose: I went to UCSD after high school and played softball for the Tritons for
three years. After earning my degree, I worked in the golf club RD department at
Titleist while I went to graduate school. I received a Master’s Degree in Counseling
Psychology and became licensed as both a Marriage and Family Therapist and
Licensed Professional Counselor. I have been working for a hospital in north
county San Diego for the past 13 years, and am the Clinical Supervisor for the
intensive outpatient behavioral health program that treats individuals with various
Mood Disorders, Schizophrenia, and PTSD. My husband and I have been together
for almost 22 years, and we will celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary this year.
We have a son who turns 16 this year and always keeps us busy. The family’s
shared passion for sports has us on a quest to visit all 30 major league ballparks.
We are just about half way there.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?


Larose: It is very difficult to pick just one. I loved my academic experience at
Justin, and have fond memories of Religion with Ms. Clarke, Math/Computer
Programming with Mrs. Digiacomo, History with Mr. Foletta, and of course English
with Bob Morrish. I was the only person in Latin with Mr. Tres during my senior
year, which was definitely an interesting experience.These teachers greatly helped
prepare me for both college academics and life in general.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?


Larose: I would have to say it was going to CIF sections during my senior year.
That was a great season, with memorable wins and the opportunity to play with
a greatteam. Having the honor of being coached by John O’Connor was an athletic
experience like no other that I have ever had, and I am grateful to have been
given the blessing of playing for him.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating
from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Larose: I think I have grown quite a bit since high school in a variety of areas. Work
ethic, determination, perseverance and loyalty are qualities that were
fostered in athletics and have aided me through many life experiences.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Larose: Without a doubt, my parents. Their unconditional love and support for my
sister and me, coupled with their hard work as providers, gave me a strong
foundation for life. My father has continuously taught me how to overcome
adversity, to never give up and to be confident in myself. My love for
athletics as both a player and fan stems from him. He was a great athlete
himself, as was my grandfather who played minor league ball in the
Cardinals Organization in the early 1940’s. My mother taught me about
selflessness and helping others, to not be so serious all of the time, to be
kind to myself and others, and to treat everyone with respect. She was an
amazing person. Sadly, she passed away eight years ago, and I miss her
presence in my life daily. They both conveyed the ability to use humor in
the ups and downs in life. My grandparents were role models for me in
many areas. My grandmother was an amazing and strong woman who
exemplified a unique quality of elegance, a love for family, assertiveness,
courage, selflessness and determination. I couldn’t have asked for a more
blessed upbringing. Finally, there is my husband. Being with him for
almost half of my life now has been one of the greatest gifts I have been
given. He has helped me grow in so many ways by being a loving role
model that embodies loyalty, integrity and determination. He has a unique
balance of emotion and reason that I admire and try to learn from.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you
would most like to meet.


Larose: This is another tough one. I guess I would have to say either Martin Luther
or Eleanor Roosevelt. Both made a tremendous impact for people in very different
ways, but provided a message of hope, courage, determination and faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment