Friday, March 9, 2018

You're only as old as a jersey number

Age. Some say it’s just a number. Some say it’s about how you feel. Some say it’s how
you act.


At 45, I am squarely in the middle. I’m young and vibrant enough to where senior citizens
will call me, “a spunky kid.” Yet, I’m old and cranky enough to be in the “get off my lawn”
category. I’m young enough to say that I heard those older than me utter, “Generation
Xers, they don’t get it.” Yet, I’m old and cranky enough to say, “these damn millennials
don’t get it!”


My colleagues of 10 years for the St. Helena Star, Garrett Whitt, and I have a unique
relationship on that front. The GMan (as I call him) has had cerebral palsy since birth.
Since he has been through more in 49 years of his life than others have been through
in 70, he carries himself as an old wise man. In fact, I kiddingly call him, “Old Man River.”
When I mention a story involving someone he is not familiar with, The GMan notoriously
asks, “Is he a young guy?” I’ll jab back, “GMan, considering you are 85, everyone is
young.” To GMan’s credit, he plays along and chuckles.


Within the last five years, I have experienced the irony of all ironies. From February
2013-December 2014, I was a bus driver for the Springs of Napa, which is a retirement
home in Napa, CA. The establishment is primarily comprised of women. Being a 40-year
old driving around passengers ranging from 70 to 90 plus, I frequently got called “kid.”
One of my passengers in the 90-plus category even called her fellow 90-year olds “kid.”


Since I began my career as a driver for Alhambra Water, I am around many guys in their
20s and 30s, to some them I am considered old at 45. I give it back to them and say, “I
filed for social security in 1995.” Why let these whipper-snappers have control. If they
call me “old” I’m going to run with it. In fact, I might bop said 28-year old over the head
with my cane.


The funnest part of talking about age is putting a positive spin. The idea hit me when I
turned 32. I thought, “my goodness, it seems like a lot of great players wore No. 32.” Jim
Brown, O.J. Simpson (when he was known as a football player), Magic Johnson, Kevin
McHale, Marcus Allen, Franco Harris, Edgerrin James, and Karl Malone.


Every year since I turned 32, I create the same narrative about my new age. On Facebook,
there is usually a listing of your friend’s birthday. Sometimes, they are bold enough to list
their age. For the sake of discussion, my friend Steve turned 55. So I wish him happy
birthday by saying, “Happy birthday, Steve. Your age now matches Matt Millen’s jersey
number. That puts a positive spin on aging. Don’t worry, we’ll limit the comparisons to
Millen’s playing career, not his failed GM stint with the Detroit Lions.”


I actually find this a fun game to play because it does not leave a negative connotation on
age. In fact, my father, the one and only Joe D’Adamo, turned 80 in 2015. He actually
asked for a party, which has been against his nature but when you turn 80, you have
earned the right to ask for a party. I kidded my father by saying, “well, you’ve gone from an
offensive lineman’s number to a wide receiver’s number.”

So, the next time you, a family member, friend, etc., celebrates a birthday, challenge
yourself to link their new age to a jersey number.

Age is not “just a number” -- in fact, it’s just another jersey number. However, I doubt I will
live long enough to reach the jersey number of Dan Hampton -- 99.

No comments:

Post a Comment