Thursday, March 15, 2018

Time Out with Arik Housley -- 1992 Vintage High graduate



Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics
throughout your life?  

Arik Housley: I was born into a competitive family. While my father was not an
athlete, he was a competitive businessman. I also grew up the only caucasian
boy in my class at Yountville Elementary, and found myself competing to fit in
with my friends on the soccer field. I continued to play soccer and always loved
it, as I was pretty fast, but we lacked much coaching. I still play today if I can do
it without pulling something.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?  

Housley: I graduated from Pepperdine and had studied in Italy. While there I
went to a Fiorentina soccer match and watched a man Gabriel Battistuta. The
guy was unbelievable and the environment was awesome. I came home after
graduation and began running Ranch Market Too in Yountville, where my wife
and I are now the sole owners. About 12 years ago, I began running Ranch
Market Napa as well. My family started a winery in the central valley, which I
help when I can but primarily I do all the label design and marketing. I am very
proud of Napa United as I am the Director of Coach and Player Development.  
Basically, I run the club travel side. As I mentioned, I only had a couple good
coaches growing up. I am a firm believer, if the talent in soccer in the Napa
Valley can be given an environment to keep their grades up, and get good
coaching to become even better on the field, the doors will open past high
school for many of Napa’ players. Because of this, myself with a Josh Goss,
we wanted to inspire local players to push for more, so we started the 1 year
old Napa Valley 1839 FC. This team plays in the NPSL which is 4th division
US. If we paid our players, it would be considered professional but to allow
them opportunity to choose NCAA options, no one can get paid, so we remain
Amateur (semi-professional) status.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Vintage High?  

Housley: Spanish, Mr. Nelson really made me love learning the language.  
Since I was the only non-spanish speaking boy at Yountville I always wanted
to learn. I didn’t understand why I didn’t have a Piñata and tacos for my 6th
birthday and it wasn’t long after I was always wanting to learn the language.  
Mr. Nelson made it fun. Of course, the first words I learned were probably not
the most appropriate, but over time I became pretty proficient in the language.
I use it daily with the families of Napa United and at my stores.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Vintage High?  

Housley: I would say two things, first, playing in the old stadium against Napa.  
Some of our friends and teammates from Napa Valley Soccer Club (Now Napa
United) like Eric Techel (Mayor Jill Techel’s son) it was fun to play against them
at that venue. Second, was getting to section finals in tennis. The Vintage tennis
team my junior year had over 50 players on it, so there was a lot of competition.
A bunch of the soccer team decided to stay in 6th period PE so we took up
tennis. We started out No. 13 doubles and worked our way up freshmen year.
Every year we were challenging to get better. I played varsity my junior year
and singles my senior year. We had a good competition and great group of
players. I believe competition is healthy to make us all get stronger, in athletics
and in business.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since
graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to
athletics?  

Housley: Studying abroad was probably my biggest maturing experience. I love
my country, and I learned how to love it while respecting other cultures at the
same time. It is funny when I watch the game of soccer of how similar that is.
Players from all different backgrounds, be it ethnic, race, financial, etc can come
together to play the beautiful game. They have to learn to communicate on the
fly. We don’t come in and think of a play and go back out, it is constant
communication. This is the way I believe the business environment works in
many ways as well. You must be fluid and flexible, yet stick to the plan.  
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, but you always can walk away with
your head held high when you gave it everything you have got.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?  

Housley: My wife, Hannah calms me, she is my best friend. What makes her
influential, is her sincerity. She cannot lie, and growing up in a small business
I struggle with people that lie as well. Hannah has taught me so many things,
but she always does what is right, even when it is harder and she knows
someone will get upset. As the Leadership teacher and activities director at
VHS, she works her tail off, going in early and leaving late. It isn’t a full-time
position, but she always gives more than full-time. She does it because she
loves it and she loves working with the kids and watching them grow. She
inspires me to always be better.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports
you would most like to meet.  

Housley: It takes a real leader to be a catalyst for change. Someone that
might appear crazy in their actions, but they make a statement that changes
society.  Think if Lincoln wouldn’t have fought to end slavery. If I could meet
a leader, it would be Cesar Chavez. I would love to just have a conversation
with him. Some might see controversy, others might see him a hero. I love
that he would make a statement of starvation or doing something that would
get attention to start to change the way field workers were being treated. I
believe the Hispanic youth should understand and respect what their parents
and grandparents sacrificed for their families. I also want to help build a program
that truly is helping inspire and guide the youth of the Napa Valley to use soccer
as a path for their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment