Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Time Out with Mike Savage -- 1999 Justin-Siena graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics
throughout your life?


Mike Savage: I enjoyed putting my best efforts forward with my teammates for the
common goal.


D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?


Savage: I went to UC Davis and competed in Track and Field specializing in the
Javelin. I graduated with a degree in Communication and minor in Education. After
college, I moved back to Napa and got involved with Niebaum-Coppola Winery (now
Inglenook) and have been there ever since.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?


Savage: While Bob Morrish's honors English would be an easy choice, I would say
that I really enjoyed Mrs. Birkmyer’s Human Physiology class. I enjoyed learning
about our bodies in that class.


D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?


Savage: I've had a lot of favorites between basketball with Coach (Tom) Bonfigli
and our soccer team at Justin. I think the favorite moment was, in our senior year,
finally beating Dixon at home with our first night game under the lights. I recall our
team really playing well and our German exchange student scoring a diving header
from a crossing pass to put the game away 2-0. That game put us into playoffs for
the first time in a long time at Justin.  Beating Napa High in a preseason soccer
game that year was pretty nice too.


D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating
from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?


Savage: I feel like I understand how good preparation puts you in a position for
success.  Success isn't awarded, it is attained. I feel that within that mentality there
is the motivation for taking advantage of every chance you are given in life and to
enjoy the journey.


D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?


Savage: There are so many people in my family that have influenced me.  I would
not be the person that I am without the influence and experiences from my rather
close family.


If there needs to be one major influence, it would be my father, Tom Savage. He
instilled a love of sports, a understanding of what a commitment means, and how
to be a gentleman.  It would also be wise to mention that my father wouldn't have
been all of these things to me and others without the support of my mother, Michele.


D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would
most like to meet.

Savage: I'm going to place my faith in Larry Bird. I have always admired his
commitment to the sport and how he was as a competitor. I think we have a better
opportunity to learn from losses and I really admire how he demonstrated that within
the rivalries between the Lakers and the Celtics.  I think he showed that you don't
have to enjoy losing, but you better have respect for your opponents in their victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment