Tuesday, July 10, 2018

In-game interviews an exercise in futility

Do you ever find yourself defending many aspects of your current or former profession but
yet find others that you simply cannot bring yourself to justify?
About three and a half years ago, I left behind the only career I knew dating back to my
college years -- sports reporter. I was blessed to have that career for 18 years but because of
the declining state of the newspaper industry and the hours not being conducive to my
family life, I felt compelled to change careers. I have since become a route sales
representative (fancy term for truck driver) for Alhambra Water. Though I do not regret the
career move, I have not given up writing entirely and nor is such in my plans.
I have made this analogy quite often but when I broke into the newspaper industry, I was 24
years old. I was young and willing to adapt. Translation, I was not jaded. Conversely, I was
42 when I changed careers and became much more jaded. By that point, I had seen changes
in the industry that were from my perspective for the worse. Therefore, I became the old,
stubborn SOB that was set in his ways. Translation, I became overrun with symptoms like
“old man yells at cloud” and “get off my lawn.” That could be construed as the cycle of life.
We see our version of normal and when it changes, we don’t like it.
For openers, I don’t have a problem with newspapers being online. Though I grew up reading
the hardcopy, I’ve moved on from that way of getting my news. Plus, I like being able to read
local perspectives outside of my own community. I would not be able to do that if newspapers
were not online. My 83-year old father and 79-year old mother insist on reading the
hardcopy and wouldn’t get caught dead reading a newspaper on the computer. The latter,
however, is not as resistant to technology as the former.
While I enjoy social media in terms of staying connected to old friends, acquiantances and
family members, I think that form has gone overboard in journalism and has bastardized the
fundamentals of the English language:
One sentiment that I share that I know I am not alone is my disdain for sideline interviews
with coaches during games. Such situations include but are not necessarily limited to
interviews with football coaches moments before kickoff and as the coach is leaving the
field at halftime. Another example are interviews with NBA coaches between quarters and
even interviews with Major League Baseball managers during the game.
Fortunately since I cover high school football as a hobby, in-game interviews do not enter
the equation. At the college and professional level, I will say that most coaches are generally
gracious with their time even if they do not like the practice. The one exception would be
San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich, who despises such interviews and makes
no bones. Popovich is known for giving surly and terse responses. Then again, when you are
a future Hall of Famer who has led his team to five NBA titles, you get a pass. For Popovich,
his responses are more schtick than true personality.
Granted, I can look at Popovich’s demeanor and say, perhaps the reporter does not like the
situation any more than he does but I would not blame more coaches if they took that
approach. I have long believed that in-game interviews of any sort, while they might contain
raw emotions, are a terrible idea. The coach’s mind is somewhere else and rarely do you get
any kind of introspective, any kind of depth, any kind of real meat to chew on when they
deliver the answer.
The fan is not getting much out of the interview either because even the coaches that are
being the good soldier look uncomfortable and it does nothing to enhance the broadcast.
The interview usually goes something like this:
Sideline reporter: "Coach, what do you have to do to come back from this 21-point deficit?"
Coach: "We have to play better and give 100 percent."
Granted, that is somewhat of an exaggeration, but not much.
I do not assign blame on the reporter or the coach. I blame the producers, TV executives and
league officials who put them in this position. Who set them up to look and sound bad?
Even under the best of circumstances, coaches and players often speak in cliches. Expecting
coaches and players to open up in the middle of a game is foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment