Monday, July 23, 2018

Weighing in on Papa's dismissal as voice of the Raiders

Sometimes you want to hear straight from the source, even if you have a strong idea of
the truth.


Though this would not fall into the breaking news category in terms of immediacy, Greg
Papa is out after 21 seasons as the radio play-by-play voice of the Oakland Raiders. Tom
Flores, who coached the Raiders from 1979-1987, twice leading them to Super Bowl
titles, will also be replaced as the color commentator. Team owner Mark Davis confirmed
the move last week. Papa addressed the move on his radio show on Monday after returning
from vacation.


The franchise will be moving to Las Vegas beginning in the 2020 season. Brent Musburger,
who had many years as an iconic network broadcaster with CBS and ABC, will replace
Papa and signed a three-year deal. The 79-year old Musburger writes a weekly sports
betting column for the Las Vegas Review-Journal. Musburger helped launch VSiN
(Vegas Stats and Information Network). VSiN was created by Musburger’s brother Todd
Musburger and nephew Brian Musburger.


Reports of this move intensified within the last three weeks while Papa was on vacation.
Papa addressed the news on his radio show on 95.7 The Game (KGMZ). The show, which
is called The Afternoon Delight, airs from 12-3 p.m. Pacific Time. Bonta Hill and Papa
host the show.


Yours truly has wanted to comment on the matter but rather than succumb to any
conjecture, I wanted to hear Papa himself address the situation. Papa met with Raiders’
president Mark Badain on July 5 and was informed he would not be brought back in the
role he held since 1997.


Papa and Mark Davis have had a less-than desirable relationship the past three years, he
indicated. Papa confirmed that the fallout began on his radio show when he criticized the
Raiders for interviewing Mike Shanahan for their vacant head coaching position in 2015.
Shanahan coached the Raiders from 1988 and for four games in 1989 before owner Al
Davis (Mark’s father), who died in 2011, fired him. Shanahan later coached the hated
Denver Broncos from 1995-2008, winning two Super Bowls and frequently tormented
the Raiders in the process. Al Davis “loathed” Shanahan, as Papa described.


The Raiders later hired Jack Del Rio as head coach but Papa said Mark Davis has never
forgiven him and their relationship was never the same thereafter.


“As the owner of the team, I understand the way he felt,” Papa said Monday. “But for
him to want me to say, ‘I’m sorry,’ I’m not. And I’m not sorry to this very day. And I lost
a job that I did for over 21 years at the highest level — a job that I loved beyond any job
that I’ve had.This is painful for me personally to lose this association with this particular
team. But I do not take back those words. And I do move on in my own life.”

With the team moving to Las Vegas, some people assumed that Papa would not follow
the team there as their broadcaster, similar to Bill King when the Raiders moved from
Oakland to Los Angeles from 1982-1994. Papa said he was not asked whether or not he
would have but added he would have been open to it. Papa also adamantly denied saying
he would not follow the team after the move.

The radio station played several of Papa’s touchdown calls throughout the show. In
addition to his radio show, Papa hosts a TV program on NBC Sports Bay Area, called the
Happy Hour. He also hosts Golden State Warriors pregame and postgame shows with
former Warriors coach and general manager Garry St. Jean. Papa said there is a possibility
of broadcasting college football games as well as having a role in the NFL.

“I just think as this team proceeds into the future, I no longer fit,” Papa said. “This is not
Al Davis’ football team anymore. And maybe that’s my own mistake, that I never realized
it, that day he died, that Saturday in Houston. I should have realized it years ago, but I am
realizing it now.”
Having lived all but six years of my life in Northern California, I can say the Bay Area
has been blessed with many great broadcasters such as Bill King, Lon Simmons, Joe
Starkey, Ted Robinson, Hank Greenwald and John Miller. I put Papa in the same
conversation without even thinking about it.


Papa has also been the voice of the Warriors, Oakland A’s and San Francisco Giants.
Though he may not remember me, I had chance to meet Papa and converse with him at
various times in my former career of sports reporter. I covered the Raiders as a freelance
reporter for Silver & Black Illustrated, which is a fan publication, from 1999-2005. I came
away wishing I got to know him better.


Having absorbed all the information I can whether it was reports from last week, real or
conjecture, along with Papa’s testimony, there are a couple things I unpack. As a former
sports reporter, I know the tightrope you walk when covering a team. Sometimes you
will say or write things that will not be met receptively. Papa assumed that risk when he
uttered his stance. By no means am I saying he should have said what he said but it’s not
like he uttered anything slanderous either. If that was his honest point of view, he should
not apologize.


I acknowledge that Mark Davis has the right to do what he sees fits but what bothers me
most is the timing. Davis clearly had a redass for Papa the last three years but why make
this move less than one month before the team reports to training camp? I would have
been surprised if Papa followed the team to Las Vegas if asked, given his Bay Area roots
that date back to 1985. However, I am inclined to believe Papa when he said he would
have considered it.


I also can’t follow the logic of hiring Musburger. Granted, Musburger is a legend is his
own right but at age 79, his best days are behind him. Musburger as a broadcaster today
is like a pitcher that has lost his fastball.


I met some media members in my career that thought they knew it all. Papa (55) is
vibrant, energetic and very sure of himself, he also works hard and tirelessly at his craft.
Football radio announcers for the most part bring high energy but some are short in the
accuracy department or vice versa. Papa brought a perfect balance to both. He gives you
everything from the formation, defensive alignment and substitution pattern. Then
capping it off with his “Toooouuuucccchhhhddddoooowwwwnnnn RRRRRRRaiders!”
call.


Since the Raiders had many games blacked out on local TV, like many, I relied on Papa.
When the Raiders were God awful from 2003-2014, Papa was about the only good
reason to listen to a Raiders game.

Though it’s a sad day for Bay Area sports, Papa will be fine. And we still have the
pleasure of hearing him despite Mark Davis’ buffoonery.

No comments:

Post a Comment