Saturday, June 24, 2017

Time Out with Chris Cowart (1991 St. Helena High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Chris Cowart: I always enjoyed playing sports, typically playing outside and competing with my friends. I believe it was a great way to bond, socialize and find my place in the hierarchy of social politics. I am certain that it has had a positive impact on my ability to socialize and relate to others in a comfortable way. I certainly made a lot of friends from playing sports and became acutely aware of my abilities, and developed a sense of self worth and confidence that I am not sure I may have had or have developed without playing and competing in sports. I also liked the routine and ritual of it. If I had to give you one word to answer your question, it would be, competition. I believe we compete for just about everything in life. Healthy competition is good.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Cowart: I feel as though I have been in school ever since I got out of school.  Seriously, I went to the University of Georgia and received a B.S. in Agricultural Economics, studied for and passed the FINRA Series 6, 63, 7, 65 and 24 (at different times over my almost 20 year career in financial services).  These are all financial services licenses, as I work in Wealth Management at SunTrust Bank in Atlanta, GA, currently. While working, I have also studied and received my MBA from Mercer University, my CFP and CRPC financial designations, and all my insurance licenses. I am now studying for my CTFA designation, so personal and skill development is a big part of my life, and has been throughout my life, since graduating high school.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at St. Helena High?

Cowart: English, any class that Mr. Ainsley was teaching. I took them all, mostly because of him, not particularly because I had a great interest in it. I learned more about life and a ton of topics from being in his classes.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at St. Helena High?

Cowart: That is a very hard question. I guess I would have to say playing in the SCAL tournaments for tennis all four years at St. Helena. There are a lot of great moments on the basketball ball court, too, but they would be too hard to describe here.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Cowart: See answer to question #1.  Sports and athletics were an integral part of my growing up and my of personal development.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?
Cowart: That's easy, my Mother.  She is a rock and the one that I draw my strength from.  She is an amazing lady.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Cowart: Thomas Jefferson..........and George Jefferson, for what it's worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment