Monday, June 12, 2017

Time Out with Erik Hamzy (1986 Napa High graduate)

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?  

Erik Hamzy: I loved playing and competing at that age. I pushed myself to be the best I could at whatever sport I was playing, and that has transitioned to my adult life. I might not be the smartest guy in the room, but I have the confidence in myself, that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. I have exchanged the football field or basketball court for the golf course, a sport which cannot be mastered, and yet I continue to try. That mindset of competing has allowed me to become a valuable resource for the companies I work for.  If it wasn't for sports in high school, I am not sure I would have graduated; it was truly my motivation.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?  

Hamzy: I played football at San Francisco State University when they still had football and started 10 of 11 games.

I worked in the hotel industry for four years. I went back to school, and found that I am actually a pretty good student when I apply myself. I have been married and divorced but have two incredibly wonderful daughters who are becoming amazing young women. I have gotten married again and am extremely happy. I worked for Procter & Gamble in customer service, and was part of a high commitment work team for four years. I was an assistant manager for Big 5 Sporting Goods for four years. I worked for a private company in El Dorado Hills for 14 years holding various positions along with Zimmer Biomet (large medical company) for three years (they bought private company). I currently work for a private company in the food packaging industry as their Information Technology Manager. I have travelled to Italy, Mexico and looking to do more. I have become obsessed with golf and started a golf tournament to help benefit children and families in Napa (Toys for Tots, Food Bank, Boys & Girls Club).

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Napa High?  

Hamzy: Creative writing was my favorite class, I honestly thought that I would go into journalism. I became passionate about history and political science when I went back to school.  

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Napa High?  

Hamzy: It's going to sound cliche' but every time I walked into Memorial Stadium, with the band playing, the crowd cheering, I got goose bumps. I was lucky enough to make a couple big plays during the Napa vs. Vintage games my junior and senior years

Our senior year, our basketball team had a lot of heart but just wasn't very good.  Vacaville was as usual working the MEL, and they came into Napa on a winning streak.  Bob Zanardi was sitting in the stands talking to a group of us during the JV game, and he noted that “Vacaville has never won in the Napa gym.” We ended up beating Vacaville in overtime and I hit the go ahead and winning basket.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?  

Hamzy: In a way I feel like I am the same person, but with age comes wisdom. I do believe that athletics tremendously helped me become the person I am today without a doubt. Being in athletics, or part of a team has been extremely beneficial to me in my adult life. Learning how to work as one, when many are involved. Learning that by helping others be the best they can be, you are truly enriched. Learning to win with humility, and lose with dignity. We cannot win everything every time, so learning how to accept that, and decide how you are going to react?  Get better, work harder, learn more, or do nothing. I wasn't the most gifted athlete, but I worked my tail off and believed my work ethic is what gained me maybe a slight advantage. That holds true today, I am not the smartest IT guy in the world, but when presented with a problem I will work the problem until resolved.

Athletics gave me a place to belong, I didn't have brothers or sisters, so my teams where my extended family.  

I believe athletics are an amazing part of a child’s life, extremely enriching and rewarding; but with all the "everyone gets a trophy", and "there are only winners, no losers" mentality today, we are robbing these kids of  a chance to grow at an early age, and we will feel the pain of this in the future.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?  

Hamzy: My grandfather who was my surrogate father in my life.  He taught me so much about life, about being a man, and loving, laughing, enjoying life, how to expect greatness, and knowing it takes hard work to get there.

My mother, who believed in me before I believed in myself.  If I said I was going to the moon, she would instantly tell me what an amazing astronaut I would be.  Whenever I need a little pick me up, all I have to do is call my mom and by the end of the conversation I am ready to conquer the world.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.  

Hamzy: I would love to play a round of golf with President Kennedy.  Have four hours to talk about life, leadership, the tumultuous times during his presidency.



No comments:

Post a Comment