Friday, June 9, 2017

Time Out with Kim (Jinks) Whipple -- 1993 Justin-Siena High graduate

Vince D’Adamo: What did you enjoy most about competing in athletics throughout your life?

Kim Whipple: There were a few things that drove my passion for athletics. The most valuable thing I received from athletics was the relationships with people that sports gave me. Whether it be teammates, coaches or family, playing sports always builds relationships. It builds trust, cooperation, communication, appreciation, and unity.
Athletics also taught me to persevere through life’s challenges. That there would be ups and downs, that there would be wins and losses, that there would be a lot of failures but to work through those to reach the end goal.

D’Adamo: What have you been doing since graduating from high school?

Whipple: Since graduating, I attended college, got married, had two beautiful children and work full time as a PE teacher.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite class at Justin-Siena High?

Whipple: Too many to list. I learned so much at Justin, not necessarily through the rigor of academics but the life lessons teachers taught me. Brother Jack in Science, Ms. Clark in religion, Mr. Urban in theatre, Mr. Murphy in Art, Mr. Foletta in History/Economics, Mrs. Nieman in PE, Mrs. Leveque in Leadership, Mr. Niedhoffer, Mrs. Fennell in Computer/Typing, and of course Mr. Morrish.  I can remember so many of my teachers after 25 years, that in itself says something about their impact on my life.

D’Adamo: What was your favorite athletic moment at Justin-Siena High?

Whipple: Receiving “Most Valuable Player” for SCAL my junior year. Receiving “Athlete of the Year” wasn’t so bad either. I was blessed to say the least, that there were a number of people in our community who believed in me.

D’Adamo: How much do you feel you have grown personally since graduating from high school and how much of that do you trace to athletics?

Whipple: Athletics drove a deep sense of pride in myself. It helped me develop strength and determination, two things I am so very grateful for today.

D’Adamo: Within your family, who have been the most influential people?

Whipple: All of them. I grew up with the quintessential perfect family. I could not have asked for anything better. I never went without anything we wanted or needed. My parents provided for and not through monetary ways but through life experiences. My mother taught me to never give up, she taught me to face challenges head on and to always help others. My father taught me to work hard. He defines what hard work is and that through that work good things will come. My sister, Carrie, taught me that family is everything and to always stick beside the ones you love. My life experiences have always been with Robin, my twin. I am a better mother, wife, friend, sister, because of her. I cannot explain the relationship between her and I. There are words I can use to try to explain but they do not really even touch the connection we have. Those who are close to us understand.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet.
Whipple: It sounds so cliche but the people in my life mean more to me than people outside of my life. I have been blessed to surround myself with amazing human beings. I can tell you that people I am fascinated by whom I have already met are retired Generals from the Army. Their stories and knowledge about our country are unbelievable.


No comments:

Post a Comment