Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Time Out with Dennis Raines -- former Napa High assistant football coach

Vince D’Adamo: Be it as a student-athlete at Vintage High or coaching with your brother, Troy Mott, what is the No. 1 thing that keeps you coming back to football every season?


Dennis Raines: Without a doubt the kids. I truly believe in building young men in my community and football is one of the best ways to do so in my opinion. I have been very fortunate to work with some of the best men in our community at teaching the game of football and life lessons.


D’Adamo: Though assistant coaches are not the first ones people think of, what do you believe their role is in terms of player development on and off the field?
Raines: I think if you ask any head coach worth their salt, they would tell you that good assistant coaches are paramount to the success of the program. I pride myself on building relationships with my group of players. Being a lineman is not a glamorous job. It's hard tough work and to the average fan goes unnoticed unless that player gets called for holding or jumps offsides. Through the years we've been able to create a culture where guys want to be a lineman and take pride in their work on the field.


D’Adamo: Even if high school is the pinnacle of a youngster's sports career, how much do you believe they grow as adults because of competing in athletics?
Raines: Playing sports teaches accountability, mental toughness and the desire to compete. All of these traits are going to help a person in their everyday life.


D’Adamo: Besides the Xs and Os of coaching, how important is it to be able to relate to youngsters as people?
Raines: Being able to relate to my players might be the most important thing about coaching. It's important that my players understand that I will hold them accountable for their mistakes and sometimes will need to raise my voice to get my point across but at the end of day I still love them and want what's best for them.


D’Adamo: Within your family who have been the most influential people?
Raines: My wife and kids and my older brother, Troy. My family has supported me through this coaching journey with all they have. To be competitive in our league and section requires a lot of time away.


From my family, we like to joke that our marriage is disrupted for football season. They are my rocks and the most unselfish people I know.
I have been fortunate to coach with my brother, Troy for the last decade. He's an amazing leader and builder of young men. Growing up I didn't have to look outside our home for a hero, he was sleeping on the bunk bed above me. Hopefully in the near future we will be roaming the sidelines again together.

D’Adamo: Name a historical figure, dead or alive, in or out of sports you would most like to meet and what would intrigue you about meeting that person.


Raines: Although not a historical figure, I would like nothing more than to spend an afternoon with my Great Grandfather. He was a WW2 veteran and the proudest American I have ever met. He passed away when I was 20 and never met my wife and 2 youngest kids. I fly the flag in front of my house every day to honor him.

No comments:

Post a Comment